Thread: spalted maple salt and pepper grinders

spalted maple salt and pepper grinders

I know this subject has been covered before, but searching does not bring it back up. I have a customer who would like a salt and pepper grinder set made from spalted maple. I thought I read that spalted maple was not a good choice for anything food related. or was it that it could be used if inside was sealed up? so do make it for him or ask him to select another type of wood?
    thanks
    cal
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Really 331 views and no one has an opinion?
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

My uninformed 2 cents worth: If you're worried about it, seal the inside with a thin coat of epoxy. I don't think I'd worry about it though.

HI Cal.
    Perhaps you can find your answer here.
    http://owic.oregonstate.edu/sites/de...Summer2013.pdf
    I was going to comment but am no where near as knowable as this file is.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

FWIW, I don't think it makes any difference. First, the fungus causing the spalt is long since dead when the material is dry. Second, I think it highly unlikely you could extract anything from the wood with the dry agents stored inside, event here are any toxins in it, which I also think has been pretty well debunked.
    And like I said, FWIT, IMHO....

Google Northern Spalting - Dr Sara has a ton of information and is probably the most knowledgeable source for information on spalting. She's studied it quite extensively. For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about it.

There is a you-tube with Dr Sara and Northern Woods. She talks about toxicity and states that most of the fungi used for spalting have been used for food or medicinally for a long time. If a turner claims that spalted wood caused breathing problems it was probably the wood itself and a lifetime of exposure to wood dust.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thank you for the replies. I have saved the links and I will start the set tomorrow after work. thanks again
    cal