Thread: First patinated metal Critique welcomed on turning and patina

First patinated metal Critique welcomed on turning and patina

This is my first attempt at a metal leaf with patina on a wood bowl. I have a lot to learn, but I like the effect. I didn't get a profile shot yet, but it is an ogee shape. I still think the wood is the main interest on these pieces so I didn't really want to cover too much in metal leaf. I thought for my first attempt, a bowl rim should be sufficient. As a preview of my second piece, it will be a bowl with patina on the rim as well. If you look closely, you can see the wood grain in the leaf. The bowl is ash, and comes in with an industrial heft at almost 1/2 inch thick. It is 11" diameter, and 2.25" tall. I had originally planned to make it much thinner, but when I got to the 1/2 inch point it just looked right to me. I haven't lacquered the bottom yet, because it is not signed. I am having trouble finding a pen that shows well on such a medium toned wood. Maybe I'll get a rubber stamp made with my signature, and stamp the bottom with leaf sizing. Then I'll "Leaf" my signature on the bottom in gold. Thank you to all of you who have helped me figure this patina thing out, especially John Keeton, and Paul Gilbert for their insights and information. I welcome critique on this. Please don't hold back, every comment is helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

2. Brian, that's a great looking bowl accent, sometimes the heavier bowl has more of a quality feel to it than a thin bowl that feels as light as balsa wood. A lot of times a person is disappointed as soon as they lift a thin bowl off of the table. I like how you let the grain of the bowl be the main focus point with the rim accent drawing your eye to it.

That's really nice. Wood & metal leafing looks great....Makes me want to try that....

I think just the rim was a perfect idea. It looks very nice.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful wood and the rim accent works perfectly with the grain.

aren't you elated......just one little thing and your are in the beginning phase again of the learning curve,,,,the learning and experimenting takes the vortec to a new level.....enjoy muchly

Thank you to all who replied, and thanks for your kind words. This will take lots of experimentation, and practice. It would help if I had some chemistry background. I failed chemistry in high school. I will keep at this, and see what happens. I would really like to get some greens and blues, especially cobalt blues. I have seen these colors on David Marks' pieces, so there has to be a way.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Looks nice Brian. I think the colors blend almost perfect with the natural wood look. Design wise, I think this idea would look cool with a raised bead instead of a cove, But either is sure to shine with this color combo. Nice work.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice work, Brian! I like the form, the wood (great figure) and I think the cove works well with the leaf.

Brian, I think you are off to a great start. The picture is a little small, but my only critique would be that the patina looks a little heavy and dark. Try not leaving the chemicals on for quite so long and see if you like the result.

Greens and blues can come from Dutch Metal (Composition gold) and an Ammonium chloride/Cupric Nitrate solution. You can also get some fantastic blues using genuine Silver (don't use imitation, it's aluminum and won't yield the same results.) and Sodium Sulfide. I just got back from a class with David, and it was fantastic. David has a video. It's a bit pricey, but if you are going to continue down this road, it will be cheaper than blind experimentation in the long run. He also has a small pamphlet as part of a kit you can get at Artchemicals.com.

Keep up the good work.

Dale