Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do pros "jig" the trigger on a drill?

I have two drills. One (Hitachi) has a mechanical clutch. The other (Festool) has an electronic clutch. The Hitachi hits the clutch limit, and stops immediately. The Festool hits the clutch limit, and takes a second or two to stop. Because of this, it can overdrive a screw. I've developed a habit of jigging the Festool to compensate for the dumb clutch.

The size of the drill does come into play. Another one of my peeves is seeing those damn peach fuzz faces come into the shop with these big huge humongous 24volts or more drills for a simple cabinet assembly. Those jigging drills are for construction site and unnecessary in most finish carpentry/cabinetry. I use 12 volt and light duty 18 volt drill and/or driver and always have two going on a job. Everybody has there favorite color and mine is Bosch blue

When I use my clutch, I'll set it light at first and increase pressure to suit with out stripping all those damn butt hinge screw holes.... does that help Phil ?

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    To the OP and others it "bugs"-
    Relax
    Who's watching to see how long it takes to put a screw in anyway?
    Have a cold drink and put yer feet up.............

I have seen more professional deck installers do it that not. I do it too. I just wonder when you amateurs will learn to do it the correct way like the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    To the OP and others it "bugs"-
    Relax
    Who's watching to see how long it takes to put a screw in anyway?
    Have a cold drink and put yer feet up.............
    As soon as my buddy at the other end of the cabinet quits jiggering around we'll call it quits and have a cold one!

Blog Entries
    Wow, never thought I would get that many replies. Installing decking with a standard drill/driver or an impact gun comes to mind as you really get into screw production. I like my deck screws to sit perfectly flush, particularly with composites or clad boards and I now use the small pan head style stainless with Torx heads. Full speed until you are about a quarter inch proud, then just let off on the trigger a bit at a time until it sits flush. No jigging. I tried my drywall gun, but could never get it to work as well as just doing it by feel and eye. 4000 rpm's is too much for a 2 1/2" deck screw IMHO. I hate bugle head screws someone buried a half inch into the deck board.
    NOW you tell me...

Tough crowd of screw gun ninjas here. When did it become acceptable to watch other people screw? And what's with the name calling and judging your workmates based on the size of their tools? Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie MacGregor View Post
    Tough crowd of screw gun ninjas here. When did it become acceptable to watch other people screw? And what's with the name calling and judging your workmates based on the size of their tools? Just sayin.
    Actually, watching other people screw has been big business since the advent of film

I'm still trying to visualize actuals "pros" on a home improvement show.

Ole

I'm not a "pro", but here's a test;

Pick two pieces of material, ie. a piece of 1x4 and some cabinet ply. Set the very first screw with the clutch to the perfect depth, now drive twenty more and see how many of those drive to the perfect depth without fiddling with the clutch.
    I rarely use the clutch to be perfectly honest. Peter's example of hardware is one. Generally I drive the screw just enough, and go back with a screwdriver to finish it, primarily because of the limitations of my drills. ( I don't have multiples of them)
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Ole

I'm not a "pro", but here's a test;

Pick two pieces of material, ie. a piece of 1x4 and some cabinet ply. Set the very first screw with the clutch to the perfect depth, now drive twenty more and see how many of those drive to the perfect depth without fiddling with the clutch.
    I rarely use the clutch to be perfectly honest. Peter's example of hardware is one. Generally I drive the screw just enough, and go back with a screwdriver to finish it, primarily because of the limitations of my drills. ( I don't have multiples of them)
    I agree, you can't use the clutch to set depth, never said you could, but a good one will keep you from twisting off a screw.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-03-2014 at 5:13 PM.
    NOW you tell me...