Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell my wife I'm not crazy!

The real problem here is that your wife has been in your shop. Tsk tsk. But as to whether or not storing sawdust means you are crazy, well, if you have to ask the question....
    On the other hand, I think I may start saving sawdust. Which may or may not mean that you are crazy. :-)
    Paul

Being right does not mean you are not crazy.

however, I don't see the advantage of stockpiling it. If you need it, you'll be in the middle of a project, and scrap will be handy.

That being said, it is your shop, so I'll butt out.

Just don't tell her about the clandestine National Reciprocal Sawdust Center, where sawdust for all extant, and many extinct woods are kept. To become a secret member, you must come up with a viable sample of something they don't have.

Don't ask how I know this.

Unsigned

Hate to admit it, but I do the same thing.

Doesn't come out perfect with glue, but it's a start. Works better with clear epoxy than wood glue.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    The real problem here is that your wife has been in your shop.
    Bingo.

The last time my wife wandered into my shop, I said, "How did you get past security!"

OK, I just thought it, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lawrence View Post
    Her logic says that if I am building something with a certain type of wood, and have a gap to fill, then I can just make a little dust with the wood I'm using at that particular moment
    You might be doomed. That's pretty sound logic, if you ask me. You best be careful -- you've got a smart one there. I'd change the locks on the shop doors!

I think you are crazy to ask advice about your sanity from a bunch of equally crazy guys.

I saved a baggie of dust from a dyed pen blank from a color called candy cane. There is no way that it will be useful as a color match in anything. My 10 year old daughter wants it for some art project.

Steve

You must use the force to your advantage. Make her think you will stay sane with more wood, money, and shop time.

Wait a minute - let me get this straight - - -

You do woodworking.

You have a shop full of tools.

You have a wide variety of exotic woods you use.

And - the sole reason your wife thinks you are crazy is because you save cups of sawdust?

One of two things is going on here:
    1. No - really - tell us the true reason she thinks you are nuts. You are hiding something from us, or.............
    2. Nicely done - she has bought off on the big lie. In which case, the best course is: "Yes, dear. You're right, dear." Make a show of tossing those cups of dust. except they are only half full because the other half has been transferred to other cups/baggies and hidden in a cabinet where they should have been in the first place.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.