Thread: Milwaukee M12 cordless system- a review and praise

Blog Entries

Milwaukee M12 cordless system- a review and praise

I am posting this for anyone like me who researches well before buying a tool. I love my M12 system, and thought I would take the time to share the reasons. When I bought in to the M12 system, I was also considering Porter Cable and Makita. The M12 system sold me because:
    1. It got great reviews
    2. It had a lot of power for the size
    3. Milwaukee name brand
    4. No other mfg offered as many tools with one battery system
    5. I needed a small drill/driver for tight work where my 14.4 and 18v drills were too big.

I started out with three M12 drills (one hammer and two regular) and also a driver. Why three? In boatbuilding I am often drilling multiple holes, or countersinking holes or step-drilling a hole in different sizes, or for copper riveting planks and then screwing them at the stem, I need a drill loaded with a bit for the nail, a bit for the screw, and a bit for the countersink for the nail head so it lies flush, or a special countersink for a large screw head. I line the drills up with various bits and save a lot of time and don't lose bits. I also live in a stone house, and the hammer drill is needed any time I want to hang anything or drill a hole in a wall.

The drills have served me very well. The only issue I have had is the clutch is going out on my most-used drill, but I bought that drill used on eBay to start with, so I cannot verify what it went through before I got hold of it. The biggest surprise for me was how many holes I can drill and/or screws I can drive between charges. Also surprising to me is that these are similar in power to my Dewalt 14.4v, which is admittedly much older. I really bought these as small project drills and for special purposes as mentioned above where I drill a lot of small holes, but I love them so much that if you asked me where my other larger cordless drills were I would have to think. I have not used the larger drills in over a year. The M12's have served me that well.

Recently I bought the M12 rotary hammer. I did not expect this to drill as well as my corded rotary hammer, and it doesn't, but for the size I am very impressed. Right out of the box I went outside to a concrete step that I plan to repair (and therefore didn't mind drilling holes in) and drilled a 1/2" hole 3" deep with no effort. I drilled two more- no problem. Then I used the drill to drill multiple 3/16" holes 3" deep into concrete to install some hurricane panels. It did well, but noticeably the battery didn't last too long. I have the standard M12 battery. This drill usually comes with the larger long-life M12 battery, and I see why. I bought just the bare tool because I have lots of batteries, but I will go get a long-life battery just for this drill.

I also got the digital multimeter. It has literally saved my life. There was a wire hanging in a vacant home that had the service (supposedly) disconnected. One check with the multimeter showed it was live! I like the feature where you put the wire between slots and a red light shows if there is power. No need to touch the wires with a lead to test for power. (I'm not an electrician, but I play one on TV- haha) The digital readout is easy to read, and it has a light that comes in handy when you have to turn off service to fix something. The battery lasts a very long time with this tool. I am very glad I got it. I thought it was going to be a luxury tool, but that was before I decided to restore an old home, and I can't count the times I've used it just to test if wires are hot, as well as to diagnose issues.

Another purchase- the M12 fiber optic inspection camera. This is a really cool tool. I have the older model with the thicker camera cable. The new ones have a cable almost half as thick. It has come in handy for many things from finding rings dropped in the pool table, to finding a clog in a downpipe without having to take everything apart or even go up a ladder. It's certainly a speciatly tool, but when needed it is indispensible.

The driver tool is good because when you release a bit, it stays in the unlocked position until you push the next hex bit in, and it automatically snaps locked. This makes for one-hand bit changes. It's a great tool for when you need to drive only, or you just need to drill small holes with a hex-end bit.

Yet another that I love- they sell a little charger that uses an M12 battery and has a USB outlet. Power goes out often where I live, and I can get 1.5 iPhone charges off one fully charged M12 battery with this thing. Since the power company blew a generator last week, they are doing rolling outages all week long, so this tool is getting good use this week. It is a must-have for hurricane season, tornado shelter, camping, etc.

I decided recently to try out the new "Fuel" version hammer drill, and got one on ebay for a good price. I liked the belt hook on the new fuel models. Also supposedly they use less power and have a heat override protection. I have not yet tried to see how many holes I could drill in one charge, but I did use it when the power went out to drill 50 holes in 1/8" aluminum and it only lost one blip on the power scale, and that's with a two-year-old battery. Silly as it is, the belt hook came in handy when up a ladder drilling multiple holes with one drill, and driving with another. I say get the newer fuel models if you get one of these drills.

That's all the M12 tools I have tried so far. I intend to get a cordless jigsaw some day. Milwaukee has a long list of tools that all use the same batteries. I suggest you get a few kits until you have four or more batteries, and then just start buying the tool without battery. That is another thing I really like- they sell all the tools separate if you so desire, so you can save money once you commit to the system and have enough batteries and chargers. I really don't care for injection moulded cases, which go in the trash anyway when I get a tool, so I like being able to get just the tool for a lot less than buying a kit with case, battery, and charger.

Note: I'm not getting paid by Milwaukee. I just really love these tools and am glad I went with them. I wish someone had posted such a review when I was looking for a small cordless drill, and now that I have well-tested these I thought I'd share my thoughts. Buy with confidence, and don't think because they are only 12v that they are not powerful. Certainly a contractor would need a set of 18v, but I would advise the same contractor to at least get a few smaller 12v drills for tight work, ceiling work, and when you just need to have a drill handy and don't want to carry a big 18v.

Cheers,

Malcolm

I am a big fan of Milwaukee M12 tools and own many of them. The new Fuel versions are amazing and have as much power as some company's 18v tools, from now on I will only buy the Fuel version. I have the new M12 Fuel screw driver http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2402-20 and it has great power, yet it has 2 speeds and will handle delicate work also. I can use this for about 95% of my woodworking needs. About the only thing it wont handle are big lag screws, I can use my impact for them. I also highly recommend the M12 lineup.
    Earl

I too have a bunch of M12 stuff and generally like it.

I have the M12 jigsaw and I don't recommend it. It does not have an orbital cutting setting.
    More importantly the shaft that holds the blade has a lot of lateral movement.
    It is useless to set the blade perpendicular to the base when the shaft that holds the blade won't stay square.

I was at HD a couple days ago, and they have a deal going, where you buy one of several tools you can choose from, then choose one of several others free. I bought a HackZall kit for $99,and got a 4.0 Fuel battery (the new big $79 one) free. The kit came with a charger and one small Red Lithium battery.

I understand the HackZall isn't too well liked by many, but I will use it for trimming small tree branchs with a special trimming blade.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-05-2014 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kellough View Post
    I have the M12 jigsaw and I don't recommend it. It does not have an orbital cutting setting.
    More importantly the shaft that holds the blade has a lot of lateral movement.
    It is useless to set the blade perpendicular to the base when the shaft that holds the blade won't stay square.
    I have one of these and love it. As a jigsaw for making precision cuts, or fast cuts its terrible. However having a small battery powered saw is incredibly useful. I always throw this in with my tools and end up using it for random things all the time. Gotta cut a piece of PVC pipe, a hole in some drywall, a random 2x4, it works just fine. Heck I pulled it out the other day to trim a few large branches because it was faster than using my handsaw.

I got an M12 drill and free right angle last year, I bought it to run in trim head screws while high up on a ladder. I got sick of carrying an 18V around on the tool belt, the Milwaukee 12v is much lighter and more compact. It's the first drill I pick up for almost everything now. I've yet to buy any other tools in the series but I like having the option should the. We'd arise. I recently grabbed a 4ah fuel battery, goes forever and let's the drill sit upright on a work bench, not my go to for ladder work. I really want the new Milwaukee radio/charger/blue tooth rig now .

Blog Entries
    Oh, I almost forgot- I also have the flashlight. How tough is the flashlight? Well it survived the angry wife test. She got mad, picked it up, and threw it at me. I ducked, it bounced off a concrete wall, then off the concrete floor. Not even a scratch. I picked it up, turned it on, and it worked. By the way, all was well and we still laugh about that incident.

I own several of these tools now and seem to buy more all the time. I to started with just the driver. Then I picked up a 3 tool kit, with the hammer drill, multi-tool and impact driver. Use them all the time. Bought the hacksaw kit with free right angle drill tool. Then broke down and got the fuel impact, it is as powerful as my old m18 impact driver, love the 2 speeds. Watch for deals and got another multi-tool. at Home-Depot for $35 (full kit). Debating on the deal at Home-Depot for tool or free battery now. Might do the fuel drill? I keep my old impacts in the cars for changing wheels or my scrounging finds. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I have one of these and love it. As a jigsaw for making precision cuts, or fast cuts its terrible. However having a small battery powered saw is incredibly useful. I always throw this in with my tools and end up using it for random things all the time. Gotta cut a piece of PVC pipe, a hole in some drywall, a random 2x4, it works just fine. Heck I pulled it out the other day to trim a few large branches because it was faster than using my handsaw.
    I agree, a cordless saw is very handy, but the HackZall does all the above just as accurately as the jigsaw, costs less, and takes up less space.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Oh, I almost forgot- I also have the flashlight. How tough is the flashlight? Well it survived the angry wife test. She got mad, picked it up, and threw it at me. I ducked, it bounced off a concrete wall, then off the concrete floor. Not even a scratch. I picked it up, turned it on, and it worked. By the way, all was well and we still laugh about that incident.
    Don't know which flashlight you have but the LED version is awesome.