Thread: 45 degree chamfer cutting head on 30mm spindle, that can cut in to 65mm thick acacia.

Question 45 degree chamfer cutting head on 30mm spindle, that can cut in to 65mm thick acacia.

Hello Everyone!!

I am new to Sawmill Creek forum, although I know the layout of the forum from a sister engineering site Copytechnet.com

Now what I am after is a non standard size 45degree angle chamfer cutting head that can cut in to 65-70mm hardwood. I've spend fair amount of time online searching for one to no available. The maximum I have found was a head that has swivel adjustable blades (60mm cutting length) when put to a 45 angle goes to a maximum of 41-42mm and also a set non-adjustable chamfer head that is pretty much on the same level as you can see on picture. The height of the one on pictue is 50mm. The other catch is I don't have a vari-angle spindle where I could use flat cutter under 45 degrees which would do the job. So my only option is to make one unless someone here can help me to resource one, or at least help me to design one.

Many Thanks
    Cheers
    Martin from Slovakia
    cmt-45-chamfer-cutter-head.jpeg

Martin,
    Welcome to Sawmill Creek!
    Unfortunately, I don't have a source for such a cutter.I looked at the usual tooling suppliers, and they didn't have anything that big. Leitz had a neat adjustable chamfer head, which I assume you're referring to, but it's too small.Maybe they could make you a custom cutter.
    Not too may people on this forum have large machinery such as your 30mm spindle shaper. I would suggest that you also ask your question on the Woodweb forum- http://woodweb.com. It's set up for professional woodworkers, many of whom have machinery similar to yours, and larger. Explain what machinery you have and what you are cutting, and hopefully someone there will give you a better answer that I can.
    Good luck in your search!
    Rick

An easy way around this might be to build a purpose made inclined sled at 45 degrees, to clamp to the table, and then use a standard corrugated back knife head with straight blades or some other style of straight knife head of the appropriate size.
    I did this years ago with a 4" face crown bed at 45 degrees, and with about an 8' radius to boot, for a curved wall to ceiling interface on a brownstone in Boston,MA.

I am unaware of any stock tooling capable of making a 70mm long chamfer cut at 45 degrees, and that projection will be beyond the depth of most corrugated insert tooling. You could get a 3"-4" tall spiral straight head and build a sled to accomplish the same cut given the lack of a tilting spindle. That is a lot of material to remove as a single pass, I would be inclined to stage it in several passes or remove most of the material with a saw cut. If you are profiling an existing assembly it's size must certainly be considered when designing a carriage to support the work during the cutting operation. Can you give more information regarding exActly what you are profiling?

Thank you for your insights.
    Peter G. & Peter Q. : Have almost 3" - 4" thick stock about 10- 15" wide and 7' long. Giving it a 45 degree chamfer. Final assembly will look like long board puzzle. So the edges of the boards will go like
    V----VA---AV-----VA------A ... You know what I mean For sure we won't do it in one pass. All hand fed. We won't use a incline sled as there is a lot of convex and concave curves.

Rick - Thanks for the tip!! I'll have a look at that site!

At the moment I am at drawing of the head. Gona keep it simple. Just not sure how to keep such a mass balanced. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Haba View Post
    So the edges of the boards will go like V----VA---AV-----VA------A ... You know what I mean

No, actually I'm not following you. The chamfers are on the edges of convex and concave curves that switch back and forth? Got a schetch or a pic?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    No, actually I'm not following you. The chamfers are on the edges of convex and concave curves that switch back and forth? Got a schetch or a pic?
    Yes thats right
    Attached Images Attached Images

I figure the cutter you are in search of would probably have to be at least 175mm or more (<7" or more) diameter. That's a monstrous cutter. I doubt anyone could (WOULD) produce a cutter of this size for a 30mm spindle. You could contact Charles G.G. Schmidt here in NJ, USA. This company specializes in tooling for the woodworking trade and they may be able to help you. Use the Google search.

Somehow, I doubt you'll find your cutter. You'll need to resort to other methods such as maybe investing in tilting spindle shaper or maybe even consider using a bandsaw.

Are the boards going to be glue joined along those curved lines or is there an offset?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Are the boards going to be glue joined along those curved lines or is there an offset?
    Its all offset!

So its meant to like two live edge slabs chasing each other along the length, or three in this case. That would require a nearly 200MM head diameter, seems expense on a custom basis, have to get quotes and verify your machine can actually spin that safely. Can you consider making the angle more acute, say a 25 degree slope between boards? That would greatly reduce the projection and might get you in range to use HSS insert knives such as 10MM corrugated back insert knives. I've spun a similar sized knife made by a local grinding shop, on straight lengths not curve to pattern, but with the right bearing set I'm confident it would work. Or consider making an auxiliary table for the bandsaw, possibly even using a portable bandsaw such as for timber framing so you can walk the curves down the slab, trim the slabs to pattern perhaps on the shaper to establish the curve line then add the chamfer as a second operation perhaps?

I had Nordic in California make me a huge chamfer bit to run in a big router, you may check with them.

Larry

Hello All,

Since we need it promptly, and custom made would take few weeks to produce including delivery, we decided to make our own. Dad managed to get the old lath for steel working and I am confident he will make the chamfer head from steel. just have to find a good mill machinist to make precise grooves and dove tail for the head.

Thank you very much for all the valuable advise. Almost bought the portable band saw, luckily dad said no as it would cause a lot more pain then action. (Band overheating due to the type of wood)

Will keep in touch and keep you posted.

Martin