Thread: Beaded "Beads of Courage" container

Beaded "Beads of Courage" container

The plain white color of this Black Gum form was a design opportunity; now it is not white and not as boring. I am signed up to take a class with Jim Adkins this fall and made this in an attempt to shorten the learning curve. I certainly learned some things to NOT do.

The dark bands were dyed with Belen "Solar-Lux" red and the lighter areas were dyed with a thinned mix of "Solar-Lux" red and yellow. The lid has a leather "handle" and is connected to a stick of walnut to keep it from being lost. Size is 10-1/2" diameter by 8" high; finish is lacquer with the gloss knocked off (Steel wool). Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Man Dennis that is really nice. I like the dying effect, hard to believe this was a plain piece of wood. I love the shape and the way the colors swirl around the dark beads, and the way the dark beads wrap around. The lid looks like a perfect design for the turning. Very nice, how many vertical segments does it have?

Will this be at SWAT? I want to check it out first hand. The beads really work out well, and I like your handle solution. You can't get a hand in, but can easily pour out the beads in a control manner.