Thread: finishing the exposed edge

finishing the exposed edge

Hi all,

I'm making a cabinet with exposed plywood edge.
    I'm using high-grade birch ply and the exposed edges are in a good condition without any voids.
    I'll sand them and need recommendation for the finish.
    I assume that it will consume a lot of oil finish without much protection.
    Do you suggest polyurethane? Does it make difference for the protection of the edge?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I have done this with water base poly. I would round the edge slightly with an 1/8" round over bit. The edges will need a few extra coats with sanding between. I have not tried this with an oil finish.

To recommend a finish, where will your project be? Outside? Inside? Bathroom? Kitchen? Oil might be fine if it is far from any moisture source but it might not be if it is in the bathroom or kitchen.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks Brad and Chris.
    This is for an extension of the kitchen but far from any source of water or moisture. The edge receives drawer fronts. So, I thought some protection would be needed. By rounding it, would it be stronger? Maybe less possibility for splinter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    To recommend a finish, where will your project be? Outside? Inside? Bathroom? Kitchen? Oil might be fine if it is far from any moisture source but it might not be if it is in the bathroom or kitchen.

I am partial to general finishes enduro var. The ends generally suck up the finish pretty quickly and may require extra sanding. The edges are likely to receive more coats.