Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peterson dedicated slabber

Peterson dedicated slabber

Anyone know the cost on a new Peterson dedicated slabber giant or there normal sized one? Seems like a big mystery on the internet, I have requested there price sheet and a quote... Still waiting.
    i understand it has options but I'm not sure of the basic price or with options etc.

Or how about a lucas dedicated slabber?

i know of a Peterson slabber that also comes with and 8 inch dimensional mill from Peterson for $19500 that's the only baseline I have. It's used.

thanks

Google "Turbosaw" The Peterson saw was developed by Peterson and then stolen by investors, the Turbosaw is the next generation developed by Peterson. Very cool!

Lucas is sold by Baileys in California. I have had good service from Baileys although I have no experience with the Lucas saw.

I too would like a slabber.

Larry

Peterson still hasn't got back to me on prices. All I need to make my decision between bandsaw mill and a Peterson or lucas is the price of a Peterson. Just called UK but there closes. Only 815 am here.

Any opinions on band sawmill slabber verse a lucas or Peterson? I. Know the Peterson and lucas are transportable. The bandsaw I would have built wouldn't be, doesn't need to be. Bandsaw would have 36 inch wheels and a 2 inch blade and 25 hp electric start motor. 60 inch throat. Typical swans have 1.5 inch blade and smaller wheels. I'm trying to prevent diving with the thinner blade.

Hi Larry, I'm pretty sure turbo sawmill is only a swing blade, didn't see anything for slabbing from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Google "Turbosaw" The Peterson saw was developed by Peterson and then stolen by investors, the Turbosaw is the next generation developed by Peterson. Very cool!

Lucas is sold by Baileys in California. I have had good service from Baileys although I have no experience with the Lucas saw.

I too would like a slabber.

Larry

Not sure if there's a difference between slabber and bandsaw sawmill. However, I noted that Wood Mizer is now making WIDE bandsaw mills. An LT15 wide cutting 36" wide foe under $9,000 to start. Perhaps this is worthy investigating.

There was a really impressive custom built slabber over on wood web a while back. I googled it up and it was made by a guy named Brian Lorentzen. May be worth a look.

36 inch is tiny for trees around here. Plus you buy a 36 it can only cut a slab like 32 ish normally. There's tons of those around here. I want 60 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Not sure if there's a difference between slabber and bandsaw sawmill. However, I noted that Wood Mizer is now making WIDE bandsaw mills. An LT15 wide cutting 36" wide foe under $9,000 to start. Perhaps this is worthy investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    There was a really impressive custom built slabber over on wood web a while back. I googled it up and it was made by a guy named Brian Lorentzen. May be worth a look.
    That thing is like a circle cutter on steroids!

I was looking into making one out of a harvester and chain driven by my tractor. I still may go that route. You would have a rough cut but who cares?

Larry

Thanks, prices weren't bad. I have heard the oscars aren't built very strong. I can have a 60 built with auto feed, electric start, auto up and down for 17k. 36 inch wheels.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post

Why not do a thread on forestryforum.com? Those guys deal with mills every day. The mill you are describing sounds underpowered with a 25 hp engine. I have a 25hp Kohler on my little mp32 cooks mill, and it seems about right for 19" wheels and 1 1/4" wide blade. My neighbors got a Timberking 1600, it will cut a max of 36" log, and also has the 25hp Kohler engine. Nothing against the engine, many run thousands of hours on a bandmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    36 inch is tiny for trees around here. Plus you buy a 36 it can only cut a slab like 32 ish normally. There's tons of those around here. I want 60 or so.
    Suddenly I feel very small Some how I got the 36" burned in my head when in fact you mentioned wheel sizes to be 36". You did mention 60" throat in you original post. My apologies.

Craig, I own a dedicated slabber with a7' bar, a Peterson WPF mill, and a Baker 3638d band mill. Each one has its specific purpose.

If you can describe what you want to do, I will be glad to share my knowledge.

scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Craig, I own a dedicated slabber with a7' bar, a Peterson WPF mill, and a Baker 3638d band mill. Each one has its specific purpose.

If you can describe what you want to do, I will be glad to share my knowledge.

scott
    Hi Scott, I sell slabs. Most trees are 36 and up , up to 20'. I usually have them delivered to where I'm going to mill them. 95 percent is hardwood. Domestics. I have been around a few band mills and one alaskan for a lot of large logs. Tuesday I get to see a lucas cutting a 50x16 foot maple of mine. It's time to buy a mill, can't decide between dedicated Peterson or lucas slabber with maybe the swing saws as well for occasional dimensional work. Or a bandsaw mill without hydraulics for slabbing only. I would think dimensional might be a pain in a large throat band mill?