Thread: World's smallest CNC dust shoe

World's smallest CNC dust shoe

I thought I'd post this as inspiration to others trying to accomplish clean routing with their miniature CNC router.

I have tried several approaches to a dust shoe, but they all tended to be bulky and limited my use of an already very small table. So I mostly directed a hose by hand (ugh!).

So I came up with this approach using some PVC pipe (Menards actually carried S&D in 3/4" pipe, which has a larger internal cross-section than schedule 40).

The air movement past the bit helps to cool the bit. I can touch the bit immediately after 20-30 minutes of use and it is hardly even what I'd call warm.

Nothing escapes while routing wood, anything launched by the bit is grabbed by the shoe.

I will probably make a second one with a brush bottom for when I work with aluminum as the aluminum chips can be trouble to contain.

This is all PVC. I used a 1" to 3/4" Tee to make the bit surround, two elbows, and the S&D. I had to do some minor trimming of the tee and elbows to make it all fit.

But I'm sure glad I don't have to hold onto that hose any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty slick. Does it swing out for bit changing?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Pretty slick. Does it swing out for bit changing?
    It pops off at the elbow near the vertical pipe. I only need about a quarter inch between the bit and the work to slip it off.

Nicely done, phil! That little machine is adorable, too!

Containing the aluminum really is a bear on my machine, too ... should put a bunch of magnets around the opening to try to slow down the chips with eddy currents
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

+1 - nice !
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Nicely done, phil! That little machine is adorable, too!

Containing the aluminum really is a bear on my machine, too ... should put a bunch of magnets around the opening to try to slow down the chips with eddy currents
    LOL, if you get that working please let me know!

The first time I cut aluminum it looked like it was snowing in the shop. What a mess!

Nice job, quite creative!