Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there anything I can do with an old solid wood exterior door?

Build a large cabinet for it, scrape off the flakes and seal. Use the old hardware.

Benjamin, that's clever. Who would have thought a door could come out looking as nice as a headboard.

No expert but it looks like a Pre-Hung door, did they build houses back then with a pre-Hung? Frankly it does notlook that old too me, but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gan View Post
    No expert but it looks like a Pre-Hung door, did they build houses back then with a pre-Hung? Frankly it does notlook that old too me, but what do I know.
    It very well could be, I don't know much about it myself. It would make sense because for an exterior door, you may want to "upgrade". I guess it's still debatable whether I could use it, because it is about 2" if solid wood. Then again, my cousin replaced all her solid wood interior doors and threw them out...

Blog Entries
    You could take the door and disassemble it to see how it's made. If it appears that the stiles and rails are staves wrapped with fir, then it is not an old solid wood door.

I would think it would be obvious if they are solid wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    I guess it's still debatable whether I could use it, because it is about 2" if solid wood.
    To me a solid wood door is a slab wood door. What you have is a 6 panel rail/stile/mullion door that is probably a strong gust away from falling apart.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Looks like firewood to me.
    W/all the lead paint that door has on it, I wouldn't even think about burning it.

That door is what I like to call these days - "Some one else's problem".
    I'd let the thing just lay where it is and let someone else worry about the haz-mat disposal.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    W/all the lead paint that door has on it, I wouldn't even think about burning it.

That door is what I like to call these days - "Some one else's problem".
    I'd let the thing just lay where it is and let someone else worry about the haz-mat disposal.
    Off topic, but this is my thread, my neighbors 3 story 4200 sq ft clapboard sided house is painted with lead paint. He plans to restore it soon, but I'm sure that's gonna be quite a bit of fun, especially with the reactions here on a potentially lead paint door! He plans to preserve the siding, but I don't think it's even worth it, especially because the walls behind it are solid stone

Off topic, but this is my thread, my neighbors 3 story 4200 sq ft clapboard sided house is painted with lead paint. He plans to restore it soon, but I'm sure that's gonna be quite a bit of fun, especially with the reactions here on a potentially lead paint door! He plans to preserve the siding, but I don't think it's even worth it, especially because the walls behind it are solid stone
    A stone wall and someone added siding to it [make sense ]
    What year was the siding last coat of lead paint
    can a building or a wooden door be sand blasted with a light stream of water to make sure that the lead do not GO Airborne

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    A stone wall and someone added siding to it [make sense ]
    What year was the siding last coat of lead paint
    can a building or a wooden door be sand blasted with a light stream of water to make sure that the lead do not GO Airborne
    Last coat of lead paint was the last time they painted it sometime in the early 70s. The house is in rough shape, but not as bad as you would imagine. If there's an advantage to lead paint, it's durability, I heard its 3x more durable than modern paint. Btw, the door is not from my neighbors house; two different topics. Now I figure the door may not even be worth the wood

There are very specific guidelines the EPA lays out for dealing with lead based paint.

The short answer to your question is - probably not...

A water stream may be used, but, some provision has to be made to capture and dispose of any debris that the stream dislodges. You just can't run water over it and let the water run onto the bare ground and carry little bits of lead paint. Doing that just spreads the problem around and creates a much larger (and more expensive) mess to clean up.
    Now, instead of just a 6'x 30 something inch door to deal with, you have several tons of soil to bag and remove.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    There are very specific guidelines the EPA lays out for dealing with lead based paint.

The short answer to your question is - probably not...

A water stream may be used, but, some provision has to be made to capture and dispose of any debris that the stream dislodges. You just can't run water over it and let the water run onto the bare ground and carry little bits of lead paint. Doing that just spreads the problem around and creates a much larger (and more expensive) mess to clean up.
    Now, instead of just a 6'x 30 something inch door to deal with, you have several tons of soil to bag and remove.
    to remove lead paint by any means require you to contains the paint as it are remove, secure a sheet of plastic to the building outer wall is one way to route the water/paint/sand into a container that could be disposal of properly,

Last coat of lead paint was the last time they painted it sometime in the early 70s. The house is in rough shape, but not as bad as you would imagine. If there's an advantage to lead paint, it's durability, I heard its 3x more durable than modern paint. Btw, the door is not from my neighbors house; two different topics. Now I figure the door may not even be worth the wood
    IF a coat of paint lasts from the 70s until this year then it is more like 30x more durable
    DID the company that tore the building down that the door came from follow the require method of disposal

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    IF a coat of paint lasts from the 70s until this year then it is more like 30x more durable
    DID the company that tore the building down that the door came from follow the require method of disposal
    The house with the lead paint from the 70s is my neighbors house which has not been torn down but will be renovated. The house torn down with the door is unknown to me whether it has lead paint or not