Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodturning Design

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    Thanks, I appreciate all the positive comments. There was no "Formal Announcement" on the site as we were asked not to comment but the word got out quickly and I thought I should inform folks. Even though AAC had been struggling for several years, the demise was sudden and kind of unexpected as they thought they had bought enough time to get things moving in the right direction, but that was not to be. I'm hoping that someone comes along who is willing to keep the publication going but who knows what the future will bring. In the meantime, I'll teach classes in my shop and I can always substitute teach, if necessary, to tide us over. Things will work out--as my wife is fond of saying: "one door closes and another opens." I do thank all the subscribers and feel really bad that some are left holding the bag as are some of the designers that wrote for me. My comments in the editorial quoted above ARE an indication that this came as a surprise to everyone. I would have never been involved in anything underhanded. Thanks again for all those who contributed to the success of the magazine over the years. Bless you all!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Herrmann View Post
    My comments in the editorial quoted above ARE an indication that this came as a surprise to everyone. I would have never been involved in anything underhanded.
    Joe,

Please don't misunderstand my earlier comment... I found it odd, but I made the (erroneous) assumption you knew the day-to-day runnings of the business behind the magazine. I did not realize there was a parent company playing (pulling?) the strings. Your commentary is completely understandable in that light.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    Not a problem Dan... I actually worked from my home in Ohio but the publisher was headquartered in NJ; I was not involved in the day-to-day politics.

Joe
    The work you did is what made the mag. Your hours of work gave all of us a magazine we could count on for what was happening in the turning world. Thank you and hope all works out for you.
    Harry
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Here's looking at you. All well and fine but i just renewed 2 years plus I also get Creative Woodworks & Crafts a scrollsawing magazine. Money down the toilet. I think from now on I am going to buy magazines off the shelf. Who is next?? With the paper age coming to an end I would be weary to buy any more magazines or even newspapers.
    John T.

Joe Herrmann, thanks for soliciting me to write my first article based on me posting some pictures here on SMC of some coffee scoops I had turned. Without that encouragement I never would have thought of writing an article for a magazine. It turns out that I enjoyed the process of developing an article and making the pictures to illustrate it. And I went on to get several more published, one in WD and most in American Woodturner.
    Best wishes for the future.
    God is great and life is good!

I too, recently renewed but having been a financial advisor for the last 35 years, I know that things don't always work out as planned. I also want to thank Joe Herrmann for giving me the opportunity to have two articles published in Woodturning Design. I'll look forward to meeting Joe at future symposiums and hope to write again for Woodturning Design under new ownership. Thanks, Joe.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

I was hit twice, turning and scrollsawing. Luckily I didn't have a subscription, I would just buy month to month. I had asked if they had considered going all digital. It would cut down on a bit of overhead and possibly sign on more subscribers. I've gone all digital except for those 2 magazines. Sad to lose such a fantastic publication.

Steve

My gosh, I just got a renewal in the mail today. Looking at the website of the publisher you wouldn't know there's a problem. Is this a bit of a scam?

Dave Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    My gosh, I just got a renewal in the mail today. Looking at the website of the publisher you wouldn't know there's a problem. Is this a bit of a scam?

Dave Fritz
    Go ahead an renew your subscription and pay for it with a check from your Nigerian bank....
    TB

Joe Sorry to hear the bad news. Thanks for all your hard work making WD magizine a great publication. Good luck with any future endevers. Jim

Sorry to hear that, it was a good magazine. I didn't subscribe but picked each issue up at my local grocery store. I was hoping they would come out with a pdf digital issue at a slightly lower cost like many of the flatwork magazines are doing. I bought many of the back issue DVD's from the other woodworking magazines and the only one I was not happy with was American Woodworker as they used flash and I could not transfer the issues to my tablet for reading in my more comfortable chairs. I'll miss WD
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project