Thread: Pegboard holding power, 3/16 vs 1/4 thickness

Pegboard holding power, 3/16 vs 1/4 thickness

My old shop in the place we sold had 1/4-inch pegboard upper-half walls most of its 100-foot perimeter. I have hooks for everything, a whole lot of hooks.

The new shop in the place we just bought will have the same. I'm used to what I had and don't want to go to all the expense of an alternate like piles of Systainers, drawers, cabinets, etc.

Prefinished white is available 3/16 only. 1/4 is available brown tempered hardboard, what I had. Not even sure if the Chinese 3/16 available everywhere is tempered. But I like the white finish.

Am I going to experience bad results if 3/16 is used, versus the 1/4 I had before?

My 20' x 20' shop is completely paneled with 3/16 wood grain finish peg board (ceiling is sheet rock). Like you, I have stuff hung on all the walls. Never had a problem.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

If you haven't already, you might want to check and see if your old pegs will fit the new pegboard. I had a similar situation and they didn't want to fit without a lot of force. They also tip down a little relative to the way they sat in the 1/4" board.

3/16" is pretty flimsy and hooks don't sit right in it. It is worth the extra effort to get 1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    My old shop in the place we sold had 1/4-inch pegboard upper-half walls most of its 100-foot perimeter. I have hooks for everything, a whole lot of hooks.

The new shop in the place we just bought will have the same. I'm used to what I had and don't want to go to all the expense of an alternate like piles of Systainers, drawers, cabinets, etc.

Prefinished white is available 3/16 only. 1/4 is available brown tempered hardboard, what I had. Not even sure if the Chinese 3/16 available everywhere is tempered. But I like the white finish.

Am I going to experience bad results if 3/16 is used, versus the 1/4 I had before?
    Yes, you are going to be disappointed. Get the 1/4 and paint it the best you can.

The problem with painting is that the hole size fills up. I use HF cheapy hooks with the white 3/16 with no problem. They brighten up the shop. 30 years ago I used the brown 1/4" and they hold up well, but are dark.
    woodshop-wall.jpg
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

George. I'm pretty sure you are not using that peg board to it's full potenial.
    Richard