Thread: Sprayer recommendations?

Sprayer recommendations?

Hello everyone....I am new to "The Creek" and this is my initial post. I am looking to upgrade my finishing equipment. Candidly it is HVLP (homeowner grade) and a lot of hand finishing.

I build about 3 pieces of "cottage style furniture" each month (could do more if the finishing were faster) and would like to invest in a good quality sprayer/system that will last and that I will not need to upgrade for quite a while. I may also get into cabinet making and would like to have the capacity for larger surface areas.

I see the Earlex ads, Fuji, and have heard of the high-end Kremlin brand and have looked at the brands at my local Woodcraft store.

Cost is a factor, however I would like to end up the $1000-$1500 range but I am more concerned with value. I am also a licensed general contractor so portability would be a plus.

I know there is not a "one size fits all" but would like the unit to have as much versatility/portability as possible.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Grant View Post
    Hello everyone....I am new to "The Creek" and this is my initial post. I am looking to upgrade my finishing equipment. Candidly it is HVLP (homeowner grade) and a lot of hand finishing.

I build about 3 pieces of "cottage style furniture" each month (could do more if the finishing were faster) and would like to invest in a good quality sprayer/system that will last and that I will not need to upgrade for quite a while. I may also get into cabinet making and would like to have the capacity for larger surface areas.

I see the Earlex ads, Fuji, and have heard of the high-end Kremlin brand and have looked at the brands at my local Woodcraft store.

Cost is a factor, however I would like to end up the $1000-$1500 range but I am more concerned with value. I am also a licensed general contractor so portability would be a plus.

I know there is not a "one size fits all" but would like the unit to have as much versatility/portability as possible.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
    Welcome Gary

I've got a Fuji Q4 Gold 4-stage turbine HVLP.....cost about a Grand. I have a sparay area setup in a small shop so overspray is a big issue with me. HVLP gives me the ability to adjust the spray to minimize o'spray....no other type of spray system than I'm aware of will give me this flexibility. Another big advantage of adjustable spray is the ability to spray inside cab corners with a fine mist, eliminating sags/runs.

My son and I have done a considerable number of residential remodel jobs in which on-site cabinet painting was required. The HVLP is small, light weight and easily portable as a job site sprayer. And the ability to dial back the spray to minimize overspray is a huge advantage in on-site painting, particularly in occupied homes. I highly recommend either a Fuji or one of the other pro line HVLP's out there.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have a Graco HVLP system that I have used for the past 8-9 years that works well for me. The gun is by far the best of the 3 systems I have owned over the past 25 years. I mostly spray water base polyurethane but also have used it for spraying water base dye up to acrylic enamel with the 3 nozzle/needles included along with wrenches and cleaning tools in a fitted compartment on top of the turbine. It is portable enough to take on job sites or outside my shop (where it is today). I think the cost was around $900.

As long as you do not need to spray a heavy body liquid (like latex) you should be fine with any of the 3 or 4 stage turbines in your price range. Others may not agree but I have never been happy with using a HVLP gun for latex. When my mid-90's Titan HVLP gun wore out and I looked at a replacement I ended up a Graco Air-Assisted-Airless system and it has been one of my better equipment choices. About twice the price of a 4 stage HVLP turbine system but it will spray anything from dye to latex so think it hardly pours with a finish quality equal to anything I have ever used.

Thanks, Scott. A friend of mine said to inquire if the spray system I choose would handle "post-cat" materials...Is that something you are familiar with?

Is my price range reasonable or is it an instance where "for just a little more you can fly first class?" This area is where I am the weakest.

Your price range can get you a very nice HVLP setup. Get one with an onboard compressor--a little heavier, but a pressure pot lets you spray just about anything, even heavier acrylic latex.

For a little more, you can have a Graco air-assisted airless as Erik referenced above, which is the bees knees when it comes to production finishing, such as spraying out the trim and door package in a new construction home. It does require frequent cleaning of the gun, even while using it, but it's absolutely worth it. I would consider it overkill for a single piece of furniture, but would use one on a set of new, unfinished kitchen cabinets.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Look for a commercial spray gun instead of a high priced hobby system from a woodworking store. I use a CAT Jaguar 100H. With this HVLP gun, I can run on a small air compressor on site if needed and can spray anything with a very high quality finish. You can get orifices and air caps down to .5mm. This will allow you to spray water based stains with a nice light even coat. You can go up to 1.7mm if needed. The basic system includes 1.0, 1.4 and 1.7mm. Order the .5mm for water based stains with it and you are set for anything you want to do. I recommend buying from finishsystems.com--their part number is CP-J100H-W. This is marketed as a professional woodworking spray gun and is a great step-up for you. Once you spray it you will throw away your other guns. They offer similar models for pressure pots.

Call and talk to them--they are very helpful and offer most other professional spray guns as well.

The best part--this is a very high quality professional tool for $427.50. With the .5mm complete set-up will be around $500. Spray with this for a while, and if you need a pressure pot, order a second gun and save this for stains. Almost forgot--this is a USA made tool!

Good luck!
    Greg Stahl