Thread: Traeger Junior Elite Smoker

Traeger Junior Elite Smoker

I just picked this up and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    Any tips and alternate pellet sources?

Smokin'
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I would search for a BBQ/Smoker forum and run it past them. I have done smoking for 40 years and I have just never warmed to the idea of pellets. I have been in FL for over 30 years and I love the local black jack oak we have. My smoker is a $25 yard sale item. It has a detached fire box and it does not take long to learn slow and easy.
    My home state is SD. I noticed your Mt Rushmore avatar. I just got back from three weeks there.

Any food grade pellets work, but Tragers are generally the least expensive if you buy them when they are at a costco road show. They are also in some malls with a kiosk now. However, they get pricey when you buy via mail order. Personally, I don't detect a lot of difference between the different flavors (mostly since Traeger pellets are just flavored and not actually the wood they refer to).

other choice is to look for a BBQ dealer who handles pellet grills and pellets in your area and see what they carry.

Pellet heads.com is the best forum.
    Erik King

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I just picked this up and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    Any tips and alternate pellet sources?

Smokin'
    I bought that model a couple of months ago and haven't had buyer's remorse. And that’s mainly due to the convenience of pellet grills.

I phoned Traeger Customer Service recently and received a rather convoluted explanation of the proper procedure for maintaining temperature control. The CSR told me that Traeger is “revising” their Owner’s Manuals to reflect these new recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik King View Post
    Any food grade pellets work, but Tragers are generally the least expensive if you buy them when they are at a costco road show. They are also in some malls with a kiosk now. However, they get pricey when you buy via mail order. Personally, I don't detect a lot of difference between the different flavors (mostly since Traeger pellets are just flavored and not actually the wood they refer to).

other choice is to look for a BBQ dealer who handles pellet grills and pellets in your area and see what they carry.

Pellet heads.com is the best forum.
    I didn't know they were just flavored and probably why, as you suggest, there's not much difference.