Thread: Storage ideas for Sandpaper

Storage ideas for Sandpaper

I have one of those 6 compartment storage bin with tilt out boxes for my 2" sanding discs. But sometimes sanding with a drill and disc isn't convenient for small work. I usually use scissors to cut up small pieces as I need them from a regular sheet into pieces like 1" or 2" wide strips that I use for hand sanding.

I plan on cutting up a bunch from each grit so I'm looking for ideas to organize and store the strips/pieces of cut sandpaper near the lathe.

Please show any ideas or solutions you currently use so that I or others may be able to use or adapt for our needs.

Also, any suggestions on sheets of sandpaper and sources to cut up into smaller strips/pieces?

Thanks
    Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN

coupon organizer from any office supply store (or WalMart if you must):

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Expandi...accordion+file

I picked up a small parts organizer from HD. There are a bunch of them to choose from. Mine has 20 or so compartments, just the right size for 3" pads, and the mandrels. You can spend anywhere from 10 to 40 bucks on these.

If you cut regular sandpaper into small squares, or anytime you cut sandpaper, take a sharpie and write the grit on them.

I also take cut pieces of sandpaper, one of each grit, take a small rubber band and band them together in a "pack". Store them in the organizer. Just grab a pack and you got all of your grits.

I've been looking for parts organizers with compartments big enough for 3 inch discs but haven't found any yet. I've been checking crafts isles in WalMart and such and they have multi compartment bins for beads and whatnot but the compartments are too small for my needs. Maybe that would work for the small cutoff pieces you're talking about. Kyle, if you could find a link for what you have I'd be thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    I've been looking for parts organizers with compartments big enough for 3 inch discs but haven't found any yet. I've been checking crafts isles in WalMart and such and they have multi compartment bins for beads and whatnot but the compartments are too small for my needs. Maybe that would work for the small cutoff pieces you're talking about. Kyle, if you could find a link for what you have I'd be thankful.
    vince's woodwonders has plastic cases or stackables.
    Link
    http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/wp-con...c-Organzer.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have the bin Vince sells for my discs but I was looking for something that would better suit strips of sandpaper 1-2" wide and maybe 5" long

I got their in house Husky brand. They are pretty much a clone of the DeWalt/Stanley boxes. I'm pretty sure mine is larger, an additional row, but this is what it looks like. In the Hardware section. I think I paid 15 bucks on sale. Hmm, I wonder if I have 2" discs vice 3" discs..... Maybe I have 2" discs. 3" discs may not fit..... No wonder no one can find them... LOL. Well, This works for 2" discs.
    No affiliation with afore mentioned establishment.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Dee...1102/203329198

I cut some 2" PVC pipe about 5" long, one end straight and the other end at a 45" angle, put some wire fabric on the bottom so sawdust, shavings etc. won't build up and connected 3 together, made three of these and labeled each with the appropriate grit (100, 120, 150 etc.) I can't take credit for the idea but I can't remember where I read the idea. Not perfect but works okay.

I bought something similar to this at Big Lots - stackable 3-drawer units. I use them for exactly what you are wanting to do. I also bought a plastic expanding file folder for my disc sand paper, and a small tool box retrofitted with little strips of cardboard to create slots for my 2" sanding disks.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Drawer-Table/

I been using a clothes pin's and a finish nail in the wall. Hole in clothes pin on nail no saw dust getting clog up in the paper.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Ricc,

I use these. They are only 8 1/2 D x 7 1/4 W x 10 5/8 H and pretty cheap at WalMart. They really work well for my small pieces of sandpaper.

Drawer.jpg

Some time back I obtained several bins from a closing auto parts store. I believe that the bins were for their brass parts assortment, and each of the 6 sections I got had 20 plastic sliding drawers of 4" wide, 4" high by 10" deep. The drawers were in a substantial metal cabinet, and the cabinets were designed to stack on one another. I traded some to other wood workers. I have discs and 3"x5" sheets stored in them, sometimes neatly..

I use food storage containers that have screw on lids for my disc storage. I got the idea from Capt. Eddie. I found some clear plastic pipe some where that I cut into 5 inch lengths. I turned tops and bottoms from scrap. I made the bottoms a really tight fit and the tops a loose fit. These two methods keep my discs organized and clean. I marked the grit sizes on the containers/plastic pipe. It works for me.
    Joe

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming - not just for me but for other turners that want ideas too!!!

Thanks
    Ricc

I use psa backed rolls at the lathe as well as velcro pads. I have never bought sheets with psa backing. The psa makes it very handy to snip off a 1/2 wide piece and stick to your finger for the inside of boxes, etc. The psa also sticks well to larger foam type pads (mouse pad sections).
    On the far left in the pic is the holder for my 5" disc rolls. Holders are tp holders and if your rolls are 1.5" or less you can get three grits to the holder.
    Second pic shows my rolls on a section of pvc. Box cutter is right there to slice off 1/2" or 6" as needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe