Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now I Need Banjo help!!!!

Ricc, events may have overtaken this, but my view is a bit different here. Given what's just happened, my guess is you won't forget to leave the shop door open again, and you're now focused on safety as much or more than anyone on this board. Your Jet 1642 is a fine lathe. The banjo parts that broke are less than $70 to replace, if I'm understanding your description correctly. There are probably thousands of Jet banjos like yours in use without problems. I'd replace the parts with OEM. You could put the hundreds of $$ you'll save toward your next lathe, if so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Ricc, events may have overtaken this, but my view is a bit different here. Given what's just happened, my guess is you won't forget to leave the shop door open again, and you're now focused on safety as much or more than anyone on this board. Your Jet 1642 is a fine lathe. The banjo parts that broke are less than $70 to replace, if I'm understanding your description correctly. There are probably thousands of Jet banjos like yours in use without problems. I'd replace the parts with OEM. You could put the hundreds of $$ you'll save toward your next lathe, if so inclined.
    +1. I agree. Also it's probably better to crack $70 worth of banjo parts, than to have the banjo hold up and crack the lathe bed! At least the weakest link was fairly inexpensive.

Several years ago I had the same misfortune of dropping a cast Delta banjo. I took it to a community college trade school machine shop and they fabricated a new one for me out of steel plate with a lock bolt for the height adjustment, my total cost was about $5.00 for the metal and $20.00 contribution to the school. It performs much better and is a great deal stronger, That was about 1985 or so, still working great.! Might be a thought for you ?