Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench update

Workbench update

Hello creekers. I stole haven't decided on a finish, but otherwise my bench is complete. My first project is going to be some cabinets for tool storage.

I learned a lot during the build, and had a fantastic time working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice. Looks great. Thanks for posting the build here!

Very nice. What kind of wood did you use?

Well done Tim! I'm jealous of the crisscross hardware...some day I'll upgrade. And it reminds me I need to put shelving at the bottom. Thanks for sharing the build...you'll enjoy it for years. Just remind yourself the first time you accidently run a drill bit through your workpiece into the bench, it's just a workbench. Don't ask me how I know!

Very nice job. Looks quite solid.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Tim! I'd skip the finish, just use it. The lumber may take some time to settle down and so you may end up reflattening the top a time or two.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice looking bench. Hope it doesn't stay that way and you get to use it like it can be used.

Very well done. Great looking bench. I went with a couple of coats of home brew wipe on. Nothing too heavy but a few coats to keep it clean.

That's fantastic Tim! Use it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work Tim! I'd skip the finish, just use it. The lumber may take some time to settle down and so you may end up reflattening the top a time or two.
    Thanks Brian. That sounds like an ok idea to me. I would like to keep the maple from yellowing, but it's hard to filter through all of the advice. Lots of contradictions when you ask about it on a forum hehe.

Thanks for all the kind words!

Cherry and soft maple. The leg vise chop and first board (front laminate) of the top is also hard maple.

this was supposed to be a reply with quote to Izzy. I'm tired, been traveling all day. My first time to visit San Francisco.

Looks great. Don't know what you were working on before, but I found moving to a full-blown bench to be a game changer

Enjoy and will look forward to seeing projects roll off the bench.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Well done!!! As for keeping the maple from yellowing, even with a UV finish it will still yellow. Don't fight it. My favorite workbench finish is a beeswax, pure gum turpentine, and linseed oil finish. I use raw linseed but of course boiled will have a quicker curing time. Shave the beeswax into the turpentine and let it melt. (The turpentine will melt it- put it in the hot sun to speed it up.) Add in the linseed oil. Apply with a brush and then buff to a shine if you like. This finish is impervious to even epoxy glues.

That's a beautiful bench. Enjoy!

I agree with Brian; in fact, it was while using his bench that I decided to reflatten mine and leave it unfinished. I just like the way it looks and feels.