Well, here it is and the Grizzly GO441 I bought a few months ago is still sitting on my utility trailer under a tarp. Where does the time go? Busier than a one legged man in an a## kicking contest it seems! Looking at the behemouth, although partially dissaembled, it's time to make a few major decisions regarding it's function & capabilities. Not ever having a cyclone before or even having a planer or jointer hooked to a central vac, I'm needing some advice.
The GO441 stands 109" tall when it's using it's full capacity metal drum. (the drum is actually a 35 gal drum with a removeable height extension to make it 50gal) If the drum extension isn't used it's 93 1/4" tall.
My shop is 101" tall to the bottom of the ceiling joists.(which are open and would allow another 10" or so) allowing air circ around the motor but not as unemcumbered as if it was out in the open (I presume?)

* I use rough cut lumber. I plane lots (hobby not commercial), and joint lots by machine.
* I live on rural acreage so getting rid of shavings isn't an issue.
* This is in a garage, attached to my house, with a large fiberglass deck above it
* I bought my unit used, it had been mounted on a wall. (It comes with a OM mounting system to go on the wall) A stand is $275 + $79 shipping if ordered. The stand is changeable to accomodate the 35 or the 50 gal collection drum.

Q1) Should I fit the motor housing up between the joists to allow the extra capacity of my collection drum (35gal-50gal)
I'm hoping some of you who have the 35gal will chime in as to whether you find it an acceptable amount or rue the day you didn't go bigger. (I know bigger is better for collection but CAN we get by in a hobby shop with the 35 gal?)
Q2) Will the motor still get enough air circulation if situated between the joists?
Q3) What about vibration if these cyclones are mounted to a wall (ie studs) * The metal stand from Grizzly looks to have just bare metal feet, no dampening. But I'm wondering if by being bolted to the studs if it will create a horrible drone when on. (I know, it'll probably be so loud I won't hear the drone on top of it right?)

I can build a wood stand for this fairly cheaply and place a 3/4" rubber mat under the whole thing but I don't plan on mounting it (bolting) it to the floor or am I making a mistake & these must be bolted to the floor (shop floor is concrete) I've seen special isolation feet mounts but they are $50+ each at some places and that's ... not going to happen.

Or do you think just bolting it to the wall will be fine.
Anxious to hear your 25cents.
Thanks as always to fellow Creekers.