Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SawStop New Sliding Table

I just looked at the one at IWF. Extrusions are very heavy, flip stops are good and cursors are easy to read. The table can be mounted flush with the front of the saw which gives a 36" crosscut and IMO the better way to keep the rip flexibility. Although the miter gauge is better than most new ( not as good as the old heavy iron ones ) it doesn't have a real easy way to take it on and off and no way to positively lock it at 90. Cursor is easy to read but I prefer a CC fence that you can turn a knob and remove and lock at 90. A little off is a lot on a 36-48" panel. Not a bad compromise but still not a true short stroke slider. Dave

It took them 6 years to develop a sliding table attachment that doesn’t look all that different from what is already out there? And they couldn’t figure out how to machine reasonably accurate detents in that time? I think Ill pass.

I have a Jessem slider that looks similar to this, which I love. On the SawStop version, I don't like the leg that supports the unit. I'd be kicking and tripping over that constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hoehn View Post
    It took them 6 years to develop a sliding table attachment that doesn’t look all that different from what is already out there? And they couldn’t figure out how to machine reasonably accurate detents in that time? I think Ill pass.
    If you listen to the video, they have a good reason for skipping detents in the design. It had something to do with them slowly being off over time due to wear...or something like that. Still, I would think a nice clean lock AT LEAST at 90 degrees to be reasonable since that position is likely to be used most of the time.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I look at my jessem slider as a replacement for a cross cut sled and not as a heavy duty miter gauge. I want it to stay at 90 to the blade and use a incra miter gauge for angles. But I also find that the majority of my crosscuts are at 90.

~mark

Lack of locking in to 90 is a serious shortcoming in my mind. Very serious. Here's hoping the SawStop will make a true Pan-Atlantic slider, one that incorporates the best of both the Euro sliders and North American cabinet saws, with SawStoppy blade brake technology on top.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I've never had a sliding table attachment, but it looks interesting. Sure would be a big improvement over a miter gauge. Compared to my Hammer saw, it is lacking. The only way they will come close is to design a true sliding tablesaw. Thought I would use my old Unisaw more, having both, but I just walk by it on the way to the Hammer slider.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Lack of locking in to 90 is a serious shortcoming in my mind. Very serious. Here's hoping the SawStop will make a true Pan-Atlantic slider, one that incorporates the best of both the Euro sliders and North American cabinet saws, with SawStoppy blade brake technology on top.
    I'm curious John, what would you take from a cabinet saw to add to a Euro slider?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    saws stop will never make a real slider as it would never be able to stop an 18" blade and i am sure it is limited to the smaller hp saws for the amateur market. if what there calling that Micky mouse attachment is a dimension slider for solid wood and its better than the others out there. you sure as hell know they never seen a real dimension slider with a quadrant fence that have been made as far back as the 1880s. i would agree that the preset in that sawstop table would wallow but to hear him say it better to not have them is funny and clearly a cheeping of its functions. How about making the take out of better material saw stop and the miter out of better than folded tin plate??

Its whats i expected to see from them so i am not surprised in the quality. After all all they have to impress is the ones moving up from a big box store saws or the 10" cabinet saw user.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-25-2014 at 8:36 AM.
    jack
    English machines

Huh, when are they going to ship the portable jobsite saw?

Nothing worse than a company that announces a product they can't produce.

I have a Ryobi BT3000 with which I'm happy, I added an extra-long miter slot extension and can cross-cut 24" with ease. I'd like SS technology, I think, but I don't want a saw that is hundreds of pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 08-25-2014 at 9:51 AM.

Jack, I can see you have some serious experience here, and I'm eager to understand for my knowledge what you intended to write, but your post as written seems cryptic to me. Can you please clarify?

"i would agree that the preset in that sawstop table would wallow but to hear him say it better to not have them is funny and clearly a cheeping of its functions. How about making the take out of better material"
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    That company is still in dream land
    You do realize sell more cabinet saws than anyone else, right?

Jack and I are spoiled with our old iron sliders but if SS chose to make a similar design for a short stroke slider, with a decent gauge or better yet a quadrant, it would be pretty much alone in the market. Even with the small blade limitation of the technology, the saw would be pretty unique and far better than any add on system. Lock the table and you have a traditional rip saw, unlock and you have a slider with a 36-48" travel and the table right next to the blade. If the table pulled out to allow a dado, life would be really good but at least a bushing on the arbor flange like other sliders use would work for dado capability. Dave

Jack, I also am surprised at the lack of indexing for the crosscut fence.

It doesn't have to be expensive, just adjustable and repeatable.

The issue for me is it's a cabinet saw, with the blade far away from the sliding table, and the saw ergonomics with the slider extension and leg make it very cumbersome.

The lack of an outrigger also really hampers the ability to cut larger solid pieces or sheet goods.

I don't think there's much call however for a saw in excess of 12" diameter until you get into industrial type sliders...............Rod.

Not sure how you'd add a SS to a scoring blade in addition to the main one if they'd done a format-style slider.