Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Something better than masking tape from HD?

Dave

I can spare you some heart ache. Put your cabinet scraper in a drawer never to be seen again. It is appropriately named (scraper) and it works wonders on hard woods in preparing them for finish but it is not the tool for this job. If you don't have plastic razor blades a credit card type scraper will do.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    ll. Yea, I missed you said transfer tape, sorry buddy. I am betting its much easier than masking tape.
    They might look the same, but they're not. You can get transfer tape in
    low, medium or high tack. Low tack tends to fall off by itself when used
    on unfinished wood. So it's nothing like the blue tape or other tapes you've
    been trying. We know those don't work well in most cases (but might be
    better than nothing in a pinch)
    Transfer tape is meant to come off easily. It doesn't have the bond of the
    other tapes. Often it will come off with a quick wipe with a towel.

As for the blades .. pretty much every auto parts store has them, so they're
    not underground. (but they're VERY expensive in those stores) Look near the
    Bondo and/or pin striping.. sanding pads etc.. whatever someone might use
    to do some auto body repair/repaint. You can use regular single edge blades,
    they're just more likely to scratch your work. I use the steel blades for stone
    and the plastic blades on wood or acrylic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning Mike!

I wasn't so much considering using an actual scraper for this as wondering what technique Scott was using with his plastic razor blades. And when he mentioned he wasn't familiar with a cabinet scraper I took a minute to describe how one was used. I agree, it would be a poor tool for this and probably do more harm than good. Apologies if I made someone think it might be a good tool for this purpose.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

5. I would try the clear coating for paint spray booths in body shops. Its like liquid plastic which can be peeled off later. Also, I would research which company produces a better quality liquid plastic which is easier to peel off. Check the video below to get the idea.

http://www.strippablecoating.com/paint_booths.aspx

I watched that video if you look thru their product list they actually have a mask for lasers. Kinda expensive at $60 a gal.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I watched that video if you look thru their product list they actually have a mask for lasers. Kinda expensive at $60 a gal.
    Good to know. Thanks Bert.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Maybe, but whats the coverage area?
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

How would contact paper work? we use it to mask for painting letters and designs when we CNC router wood. Peels off fairly easy. cover the plywood, router the design, spray the paint, peel the contact paper.

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

I am not certain of this, but isn't most contact paper a PVC material? That would rule it out for laser use, but not CNC routers.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Jeff,

I am not certain of this, but isn't most contact paper a PVC material? That would rule it out for laser use, but not CNC routers.
    Exactly Dave.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    Maybe, but whats the coverage area?
    I thought of that after I made the post, but reading the article and reviews that were posted it said the Laser product was kinda thick so I just assumed(yea I know)that the coverage wouldn't be enough to make it worth the cost. Maybe a bad assumption on my part. Would be nice if they had some smaller sizes available so we could try it out with out a $60 dollar investment into an unproven product. added thought you would still have to remove all the little bits and pieces that don't come off with the first peeling. May be difficult to see them if its a clear finish.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 09-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander