Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Full O Cabinets

House Full O Cabinets

I bought a fixer upper back in January. My wife and I have been working on it on the weekends and evenings after work. We're doing a lot of it ourselves. For example, we did all the framing changes and installed windows and insulation and hung the sheetrock, but I paid to have it taped, floated and textured. (Those guys were fast!)

Now, we're doing all the cabinets (a good percentage done) and trim (almost ready to start). I wrapped up the kitchen yesterday, and I have a knee space to complete in the bathroom today, which will wrap that up. Then, it's just 5 more boxes to make up the living room built-in.

Here's what the kitchen looked like when we bought it.

IMG_0757.jpg IMG_0589.jpg IMG_0756.jpg

All the cabinets were along the exterior wall, and they were flanked by the free standing range (left) and fridge (right). The kitchen could support it, so we added more cabinets to form an L, and also put 3 cabinets on the opposite wall (base, upper and over-the-fridge cabinets).

And here's (mostly) what it looks like as of yesterday:

DSC_7833.jpg DSC_7834.jpg DSC_7835.jpg

DSC_7836.jpg DSC_7837.jpg

We moved the dishwasher to the right of the sink. We added a trash pullout to the left of the sink, and a small area we call the "cookie sheet" cabinet to the left of the trash pullout. The corner cabinet on the left is large, and, as corner cabinets are, they are hard to get back into. So, I opted for no center stile on that cabinet.

The sink cabinet, I as mentioned in another thread recently, was modeled after the original. I really like the rounded corners. A piece of 3/4" x 3/4" quarter-round makes the turn. Instead of a just a "toe kick", it has a "knee kick", which is a toe kick that extends all the way up to the false front.

The corner cabinet will get an 18" lazy susan.

Most shelves are fixed. I didn't want to mess with holes or pilasters and clips for the kitchen or bath. However, the living room built-in will get adjustable shelves.

It's not a great picture, but the upper next to the fridge has an 8-bottle vertical wine cubbie built into it. I'll take more pics today with the wide angle lens.
    I made the uppers only 41" tall, instead of the standard 42", since the ceiling has quite a bit of variation in height to it. The simple cove moulding hides the gap.

I'll be ordering cabinet doors from a local company. Flat panel, inset. Kitchen cabinets will be painted white.

Bathroom and living room photos will be posted this evening. Got to get to work!!

Blog Entries
    Great looking job so far.

Thanks Jim.

These aren't the greatest pics. I didn't get a chance to take new ones today. Heck, I was only there 10 hours.

The bathroom. It used to have a 24" wide entry door, which led into a 27" wide "tunnel" that was 6' long, formed from the backs of the bedroom closets and one ugly cabinet. After the 6' tunnel, there was 5 more feet which consisted of the tub on the left and commode and sink on the right.

We relocated the two closets elsewhere which REALLY opened up the bathroom. Now, we have a 32" door and a 43" walkway into the bathroom. On the left and right, as soon as you go into the bathroom, are built-in shelves, 10.5" deep and 21-22" wide, 6' tall and up off the floor about 9". These shelves will get doors.

DSC_7851.jpg DSC_7850.jpg

Next, on the left, is a 45" wide "make up" space with a drawer box and a knee space with a shallow drawer under the counter. You can see the drawer box in the above pics. I made the framework for the drawer this morning - no picture yet. Following the knee space after the wall is the tub.

On the right, after the shelves, is another built-in, which I'm calling a linen cabinet. You can just see the tops of them in this picture.

DSC_7852.jpg

The linen cabinet is 7' tall, starting at the floor, and the same height as the built-in shelves. Dirty clothes hamper will be in the bottom and above that, towel and other linen storage. The hamper area will have a 10" high, bottom-hinged door at the top to drop your dirties into the hamper. The bottom and top of the cabinet will have single doors. Notice the rail with nothing behind it in the following pic. That rail is where the hamper door will mount.

DSC_7857.jpg

All these smaller built-ins are getting a 1" x 1" cove moulding at the top.

Here are a few other pictures of the linen cabinet and shelves, and also the medicine cabinet and 48" wide sink box with a drawer bank space on the left.

DSC_7856.jpg DSC_7855.jpg DSC_7860.jpg DSC_7858.jpg

The bathroom cabinetry has now moved into the "paint prep" phase, although I still have to make drawer boxes and order doors. Tomorrow, the tub refinisher will arrive and do his thing.

Here are a few better shots of the medicine cabinet. My model was most cooperative!

DSC_7822.jpg DSC_7823.jpg DSC_7827.jpg

Most of the cabinetry is 3/4" paint grade birch, 1/4" birch ply for the backs and S3S poplar, sanded one side to 3/4". For the wood shelves, I'm glueing and nailing a 1/2" thick piece of poplar on the font edge, sanding to smooth both sides, and beveling the front corners on the tablesaw. This medicine cabinet, however, got 1/2" baltic birch ply. The built-ins in the bed room will have the same birch ply boxes, but the face frames, door and drawer fronts will be red oak (to match the floors).

Next post - the living room built-in. 113.5" wide. I made the two lower outer drawer boxes and face frames yesterday afternoon and got them installed. I need to get some adjustable shelf pilasters today before I can assemble the (already cut out) lower middle piece. So, I might start on the two uppers today (which will also need the shelf pilasters… ).

SketchUpScreenSnapz040.png

Blog Entries
    Looking GOOD.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Not too much progress on the living room built-in today. Parts got cut out, but I'm waiting on adjustable shelf pilasters before I can assemble.

DSC_7940.jpg

I was able to get some better pictures of the kitchen today.

DSC_7941.jpg DSC_7944.jpg DSC_7943.jpg

I had to use my fish eye to get the bathroom cabinets, so things are a bit distorted.

DSC_7917.jpg DSC_7918.jpg DSC_7919.jpg

And, here's the workshop! A one car garage.

DSC_7947.jpg

That shelf unit in the corner, holding various things, was the first shelf unit for the bathroom. Alas, 1.5" too wide.

Hey Todd, are you moving in, or flipping? I'm a bit curious since It recal that you have that other thread talking about a timberframe building.

Those are some awesome cabinet installs, by the way! Looks like a ton of good work.
    "It's Not About You."

Thanks Von and Art.

Art, I'm moving in. Hopefully near the end of Sept. Lots to do yet. Timber Frame is property B. This is property A. This will be temporary.

Got the three niches completed today. They are set in place, waiting final sanding prior to nailing in place. Two in the short hallway and one in the guest bedroom. I think I'll put a mirror in the top of the guest bedroom box.

Hallway niches

DSC_7950.jpg DSC_7951.jpg

Guest bedroom niche

DSC_7952.jpg

Also started working out the details for the trim today. I got the 3 walkways between rooms boxed out. You can make out the boxing for one walkway in the pictures of the hallway niches.

Next I'll start door and window casings. 10 interior doors, 3 exterior doors, and 1 set of French doors. 15 windows.

Making your own casings is a PITA. Here's a drawing for what the door and window trim will look like. I'm using the same cove that is in the kitchen.

SketchUpScreenSnapz042.png

Maybe I'm getting tired, but it seems I'm just not getting as much done these last couple days.

I started out final sanding and nailing in the 3 niches. They look nice and turned out well.

The kitchen sink box is complete. The false front was rough-cut out a while ago (a block of wood the correct thickness, width and length), but it didn't get machined until today (3/8" round over, 3/8" rabbet and 3 kerfs) as I had to drag the router table out of storage.

My wife finally came around today and said she likes it. PHEW! Here it is, tacked on with 3/4" brads and caulked all around.

DSC_7960.jpg

In another thread, I was contemplating a tilt-out front, but I decided to nix that idea. Too much other stuff on my plate.

Progress on the living room built-in. 1/2 of my order for shelf pilasters came in, luckily it was the lower half (30"ers). I got them cut, dadoed and stapled in, and the center lower box assembled, installed, and face frame made and installed. I received the red oak ply for the built-in counter top too, so got that installed. I had to butt-joint an additional 17" on the end. I used the tablesaw to rip the ply to width, and then my handy dandy festool saw, with a homemade zero-board to do the cut outs on either side, since the center section is about 2" proud of the outer drawer boxes.

DSC_7961.jpg DSC_7962.jpg

Part of the day was spent monitoring the re-grade of the back and side yards for better (proper) drainage. Now I gotta buy some grass. Maybe 5-6 pallets.

I probably won't get the other pilasters until Friday, so can't work on the upper cabinets for the living room built-in. The red oak I ordered to make the bull nose for the built-in won't be ready until next week.

I did get in some 8/4 white oak and a long board of hard maple, and between the two, I'll make an under-counter pullout cutting board. Maple for the board, and white oak for the runners. I'll incorporate it into the upper inch of the trash pullout to the left of the sink box.

I calculated today I'll need 36 doors, 28 pairs of drawer slides and 30 drawer boxes and drawer fronts. I still have not decided on butt hinges or concealed. I'll probably go with non-mortise butt hinges. $14+/pop for the good ones.

Only a 13.5 hour day today. I feel like a slacker.

Tomorrow: red oak face frames for the two bedroom built-ins, then I'll move into door trim mode.

very nice project and you did a lot!! How did you do 3 kerfs on front of sink box? Router? Cut saw?

Ed.

Thanks Ed.

I did the 3 kerfs on the tablesaw. I started by marking limit lines on the top of the false front. I then set the fence for the outside kerf, lowered the blade beneath the table, set the wood over the blade, turned the saw on, and raised the blade all the way up through the wood - to the max height. I then did a climb cut (I pulled the wood towards me) to the rear limit line, and then pushed the wood to the front limit line. I then lowered the blade, flipped the wood around, and did the other outer kerf the same way. After that cut, I stopped the saw, reset the fence for the middle kerf, and went through the process a third time.

Good progress today.

Completed 4 shelves for the lower built-in and 10 shelves for the upper cases. Lots of sanding.

DSC_7971.jpg

Got the red oak face frames made for both bedroom built-ins and installed. Done.

DSC_7967.jpg DSC_7969.jpg DSC_7970.jpg

Only two more face frames to make - for the upper living room built-in cases. I got them assembled today, but didn't put the backs on them yet or make the face frames. I'm, right now, staring at my tardy box of adjustable shelf pilasters that arrived today, so the cases will get completed in the morning.

The second to last thing I did today was to create 156 linear feet of a 1" x 3/8" flat, with a 3/8" bullnose on one side. This is what I am calling the "flat" that will be used on the window and door dressings. It's the bottom part of the header. In this one-car garage, I don't have any dust collection set up. After using a good dust collecter for so long, and now not using one for this project, I'm gagging on this stuff. It's hot, and I'm sweaty, so the dust and chips just stick to me. This pic was taken right after the 156' of moldings were done. I would route the bullnose then rip off 1", and repeat, 13 times on 12' boards.

DSC_7965.jpg

The last thing I did was to rip up some hard maple for a cutting board. I'll have to dig out some proper clamps from storage to glue this bad boy up.

Todd

Another day at the coal mine.

Got the cutting board glued up with Titebond III. First time I've used it. Slimy stuff.

Got the upper cabinets for the living room built-in assembled, face frames made, installed to the cases, the cabinets installed, and the moldings applied. This phase complete (except for bullnose edging on the countertop - still waiting for that lumber).

DSC_7973.jpg

Started on the kitchen window casing/trim and worked out the details for the rest of the windows.

DSC_7975.jpg

Doesn't seem like much, posting here in pictures… but I guess when you start with S3S lumber, and take it to (almost, just gotta caulk) paint ready installed cabinetry, it is a lot. Wore me out today.

Todd

First coat of enamel went on yesterday. I have a few touch ups to do, then the second coat later this week or Saturday. Lots of nasty work spraying that stuff, but the results are worth it.

Top of room divider wall between dining and kitchen
    DSC_8011.jpg

In dining room, looking towards front door
    DSC_8012.jpg

Upper case of living room built-in
    DSC_8015.jpg

Living room window casing and front door
    DSC_8017.jpg

In bathroom, looking thru hallway toward living room
    DSC_8021.jpg

Master bedroom closets and window
    DSC_8022.jpg

Todd

Blog Entries
    That is some great looking work. You've put a lot into it but it will be worth it in the long run and you can absorb the praises and compliments for years to come.

REALLY nice!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon