Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10-22 questions...

Ruger 10-22 questions...

This post is a question about the Ruger 10-22, mods please delete if the post is not appropriate. Anyways, I was just wondering if someone knows if the "takedown" 10-22 model is inherently less accurate than the standard "carbine" model. Or if there is no difference.

I'm sure there are plenty of reviews that a Google search could find. A stock 10/22 is not that great to start with, but useable for something like shooting squirrels. We mostly shoot paper, so like them to not make multiple holes. We kept replacing parts on a 10/22 until we got to the point that we had put the original gun back together completely. I don't think there is a single Ruger part left in it, but it will drive tacks. We were shooting with some friends, and one of them asked my Son if he could hit a quarter at 100 feet. He asked the questioner where he wanted him to hit it, and proceeded to make a head shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of reviews that a Google search could find. A stock 10/22 is not that great to start with, but useable for something like shooting squirrels. We mostly shoot paper, so like them to not make multiple holes. We kept replacing parts on a 10/22 until we got to the point that we had put the original gun back together completely. I don't think there is a single Ruger part left in it, but it will drive tacks. We were shooting with some friends, and one of them asked my Son if he could hit a quarter at 100 feet. He asked the questioner where he wanted him to hit it, and proceeded to make a head shot.
    This is the first negative review I have ever heard of the Ruger 10/22. I think at some level the increased price for very small improvement in performance would come into play. I had a Ruger 10/22 with 30 shot clip, bought at the neighbors yard sale for $150. It was my most favorite gun. Not as accurate at 300 yards as my .222 but still my favorite gun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I've always read the same as tom says about ruger semi autos in general, that they're a bit shot on out of the box accuracy.

If you sit down at a bench rest at 50 yards, though, you'll find there aren't many that shoot too accurately with many different boxes of stuff. Most of them (in the low price range) have bad triggers, which doesn't help, either.

I didn't intend it to be negative at all. It's a great little gun, but not a super accurate target rifle. We learned a lot in the process of upgrading every part of it, so we don't think it was money thrown away. We've run many bricks through the 10/22s, and it's high on our list of favorite guns too. One that is dead nuts accurate is just more fun. Once you get a super accurate one, it's still cheap to shoot a bunch of rounds.

I have the S&W 15/22 and its very fun. Has a redot scope zeroed in to about 60 yards. Isnt a nail driver but it easy to hit a beer bottle at 100 yards
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I'll toss in my opinion... I've had several 10-22s over the years, and agree with Tom's take. They are a good little rifle, but not in the tack driver league right out of the box. I'm talking all touching at 100 yards, any of mine just don't do that. They are perfectly acceptable though, and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I suppose time spent finding the ammo each likes would make a difference, but that's just not how I use them. Everyone should enjoy a 10-22 at some point in their life.

Takedown rifles are inherently less accurate because they have another variable in them. It's possible to make a takedown mechanism that is resistant to a misalignment, but it's impossible to completely preclude one. Why do you want a takedown? A standard 10-22 is not a long weapon. I personally would go with a target pistol if length and accuracy were critical factors. Browning Buckmark comes to mind.

Blog Entries
    Are you guys having a hard time finding 22 ammo? Our local Walmart gets some in occasionally, but it sells out in about 30 minutes, and they have a 3 box limit. A 3 box limit for a 100 round box or a 3 box limit on a 550 round bulk box. How much sense does that make?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Are you guys having a hard time finding 22 ammo? Our local Walmart gets some in occasionally, but it sells out in about 30 minutes, and they have a 3 box limit. A 3 box limit for a 100 round box or a 3 box limit on a 550 round bulk box. How much sense does that make?
    local store has 1400rd buckets for about 70$ and it doesn't foul the gun up near as bad as walmart ammo does!
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Our local Academy just started getting a fair stock of .22LR back in. Not CCI Mini Mag, unfortunately. It's the Mexican Aguila stuff. Have not had a chance to shoot any of it yet but did pick up several boxes.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I've bought 2 take-downs. One for myself and one for my son. I love it. Plenty accurate enough for me. I put a detachable scope on mine and a trigger kit. Very nice little package.

No shortage here now Von. There was, but my strategic location halfway between Cabelas first store/headquarters and their third (I think) helps my supply chain recover pretty fast. There was a time that even that didn't help, and some of the lower demand bigger stuff like .243 was cheaper than low quality .223.

Nice thing about the 10/22 though its unmatched for aftermarket stuff.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

We also have a 10/22 Magnum, with a heavy barrel and Hogue overmolded rubber stock, and it's a fun little gun too.

My 10/22 is close to what I would call a tack driver at 50 yds with the right ammo. However, I've done most all the Volquartsen mods and a Kidd bolt/spring extension. Yes, it's sensitive to ammo/brand, mostly preferring better ($$$) stuff. But with the right stuff, it's accurate and fun to shoot. At 100 yds it's close enough to being a tack driver for me. And still doesn't break the bank when I put 100+ rounds down range. My 15/22 (with bipod) is also fun. Very close to being as accurate, but looks more "awesome". The 10/22 has a more "classic" look. I have the sporter model with checkered stock and leather sling.