Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best power sander?

Thomas, Your wish has been granted. See post #10 from John Beaver, above.

Originally I purchased a Neico from Amazon. It was okay, but it seemed heavy, and required a key to change out sanding mandrels. I have a holder for each grit of sandpaper (I use each one till it is no longer usable, which keeps me moving and saves me paper. I know you are not supposed to do that, but it works fine for me).

On a whim, I purchased my Klutch close quarters drill from Northern Tools. It currently lists for $59.99. The mag alloy body and keyless chuck have been great. Less fatigue when using it, and easy sandpaper holder switch out. Although not HF cheap, the price was well worth it. It has been going strong for more than a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Here's another vote for the cheap HF close Quarters drill - I've got an air sander, but can't handle the noise and it is harder to control for speed than the HF. The HF is cheap, I buy the 2 year replacement and get a new one every two years which is about how long the bearings last. Cheaper than the alternatives...
    By cheap HF drill, are we discussing the #60610 unit?

Thanks

Has anyone used a Festool Rotex RO90DX for turning? Random orbit, 3.5" pad, excellent dust collection, dual mode with fine and course sanding, etc...

An angle drills seem good because you can probably get to the bottom of a bowl better than the 90 degree sanders. Do you guys use a regular drill for the bottom of bowls?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    Originally I purchased a Neico from Amazon. It was okay, but it seemed heavy, and required a key to change out sanding mandrels. I have a holder for each grit of sandpaper (I use each one till it is no longer usable, which keeps me moving and saves me paper. I know you are not supposed to do that, but it works fine for me).

On a whim, I purchased my Klutch close quarters drill from Northern Tools. It currently lists for $59.99. The mag alloy body and keyless chuck have been great. Less fatigue when using it, and easy sandpaper holder switch out. Although not HF cheap, the price was well worth it. It has been going strong for more than a year now.

The Klutch looks exactly like the Hazard Fraught Tools drill that sells for $39.99.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I would not be surprised to learn that the HF close quarters magnesium body drill is clone of the Klutch. I purchased the Klutch model over the HF one due to some negative reviews on The HF model, with no similar negative comments about the Klutch.

i like the close quarters drills, because they feel much better in the hand. They have a much more ergonomic feel and balance during sanding.

for deeper items, I use a drill bit extension (got mine from Vince Welch). You can buy them pretty much anywhere.

the magnesium body is definitely lighter than the Neico unit. After a few minutes of sanding, you'd be surprised how much a few ounces weight difference feels from a fatigue standpoint.

+1 on the Harbor Freight drill. I am still using the same one I bought in 2010. Just remember to blow the dust out once in a while. When it breaks, I will buy another just like it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Since "electric" seems to win this discussion, I decided to do a little research starting in my own shop. I have been using a Mirka Ceros 5 electric sander for all my flat work. It blows doors on any sander out there. I have owned a number of sanders over the years including Festool which I love (just not so much the sander I tried). The Ceros sanders are exactly like air sanders but are powered by a DC brushless motor. The sander can be used with a Festool or Fein vacuum and used with Mirka Abranet discs, they are virtually dust-less. So, I went on the Mirka website and sure enough, they make a Ceros 325cv which is a 3" version of the 5 and the 6. I can't see why this sander could not be "ultimate" turner's sander. Well, maybe one small hitch? The price! Nearly $400 for the sander or $300 for the sander without the DC power source (if you already have one of their other sanders?).
    Check them out at Mirka/USA.com

I'm sure that the sander you refer to would be excellent, but it would have to do a lot more than perform well as a turner's sander for me to spend 8-10 times what I need to spend to get a "good" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    I'm sure that the sander you refer to would be excellent, but it would have to do a lot more than perform well as a turner's sander for me to spend 8-10 times what I need to spend to get a "good" one.
    Jeff, I bet if you compared a HF "drill" at $30 to a "sander/polisher" at $300 (like the Mirka) you would soon realize there simply is no comparison. Just how far is an angle drill going to get you in the total finishing process? Will it get you a glass polished finish? How much dust will the drill spray all over the shop vs. a dust collecting sander with Abranet discs? How quite is the drill vs. an electric DC brushless, air tight sander? Ergonomics of an angle drill vs. a 3" palm sander? Weight? I think it "would do a lot more" as you say.
    When I buy a machine or tool, I find that in nearly every case, the expensive ones are almost always expensive for many reasons.

John, I know you have a lot of flatwork experience and appreciate fine tools, but as a relatively new turner I would suggest you go the cheap route first in this situation. As you can see, the replies you have received have been from folks that have been turning for many years. As a flat worker of many years, I can tell you that the use of a power sander in woodturning is completely different than in flatwork. For casework, I would readily agree with your position, but as a turner, I think your purpose would be better served with an inexpensive angle drill. But, your financial resources may permit you to do both if you find the Ceros sander doesn't meet your needs. However, for me, I would prefer to make a $35 mistake first rather than a $4-500 mistake. If you find the angle drill a disappointment, you can always buy the Ceros and relegate the angle drill to a lesser use.

Just a thought. In either event, should you decide on the Ceros, please report back on how you like it. These folks love tool reviews!

You are certainly correct about price and quality but at least for me, the marginal difference in capability does not warrant the difference in price for this particular item.

i do not understand how my sanding to 1200 grit, with my Grex or $65 electric sander, then followed with EEE paste, is any less shiny than what you describe. Sure, you can get quieter than using my big gulp hood attached to my DC to collect sanding dust. I don't see how the DC motor can be that much quieter than my electric drill itself, which is pretty darned quiet.

again, it's a matter of opinion here, but I would rather spend the money on other things. Of course, given limitless funding, I would always buy the best equipment in every case.

John - I agree with you philosophically on the value of well built tools. I've got some tools that I spent a small bundle on that have lasted for years and then been rebuilt with new parts (that are still available) so they'll probably be used for several more years. But sanding on the lathe is a whole different animal, as John Keaton mentioned in his post. Save your money, try the cheap route. I use the HF close quarter drills - the cheaper version without the keyless chuck works best for me (I don't have a need to switch out the sanding disc very often). I found the magnesium version (been through a couple of them) had bearing problems much sooner. The cheaper one works great - but then all I'm asking of it is to spin the paper - a big gulp and DC do the heavy lifting for keeping the air clear, and a Trend Air Shield Pro gets the rest. Just pay the extra $9.00 or so and get a new one in a couple of years.

There's another option you might consider that hasn't been mentioned yet and that's the Sorby Sandmaster. I use the hand sandpaper strips along with a Neiko drill + Vince's disks. Not to long ago Woot had a sale on the Sandmaster for $9.99 so I said what the heck and ordered it. Well I've used it on a few things and liked the results and slowly is becoming my favorite go to sanding device. I like the Neiko drill just fine but it is a little awkward in your hand and a touch heavy not to mention it's noisy. Here's a picture of it in case you don't know what it looks like on a job I used the Sandmaster exclusively yesterday. Not 1 tool mark or scratch to be found on the outside and got a little better than 5" deep on the inside in the same condition. This is the 2" version with Vince's newer 2 3/8" green disks.
    Carter Hollow 6.jpg

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advise. I decided on the Mirka 3" Ceros. I used it on a mid size Koa HF and it performed beautifully. I really like the dust collection performance of these sanders with the Abranet discs. Hopefully it will last many years. It is basically an air sander ,but electric. Very low profile, fits in your palm, and has infinite variable speed or can be set at select speeds. The palm control lever is very responsive and controlling these sanders takes a minute or two to get used to. It runs extremely quite and smooth.