Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen turning lathe worth it or just wait.....

Pen turning lathe worth it or just wait.....

I need some advice. I have never turned anything before on a lathe but it has always intrigued me. I would like to start out small and was thinking that the FPP would be a good start. Our local Rockler store is having a sale this weekend on the Jet Pen Turning Lathe for about $70 and I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about this lathe - good or bad. I figured for the money I couldn't go wrong and could at least see how I liked it and maybe upgrade later when money and space are more accomodating. Is this a cheapie or is it workable for a space tight turning newbie who just wants to give it a whirl?? Thanks in advance for any advice you might give.

Nay, nay!

From what I've read from others, this lathe is a 'don't bother'.

I've picked up a Wilton VARIABLE SPEED mini-lathe for $99.99 INCLUDING SHIPPING. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846.

I like it a lot, especially the variable speed. Only drawback for me was the fact it has a #1 morse taper unlike my larger lathe and most other lathes. I spent 10 bucks at Woodcraft and got a new pen mandrel for it and also got an adapter to bring the smaller threads to 1'x8tpi so I can use my other accessories on the headstock. It comes with a faceplate, live center, spur center and extra toolrest. For the money, I think it's a great value and would heartily recommend it.

Even if you go on to a larger lathe, you'll always find this useful...and portable.

Jack

I bought the Wilton last year as a "traveling" lathe, to take to demonstrations. It has not failed me yet. If you have a Menards locally, you can save the freight and probably get it cheaper than $99.00, too.

Bruce

Hi Jack,

When I got into pen turning I bought a Grizzly mini VS and it has served me well since I bought it. Here is a picture:
    It is currently on sale for $125 on their website. Certainly there are pluses and minuses with this lathe. Here are the pluses:

Variable speed with no belt changing, go from 0 to 4,000 rpm by turning a knob.

Reasonably well made given the cost of the product.

An excellent pen lathe or learners lathe. If pens and small projects are your bag this lathe will make you pretty happy for the money.

Here are the minuses:

#1 morse taper
    no knock out for the head stock, so either you gently tap with a small hammer or use a small wrench as a pry lever.
    not much travel in the center of the tail stock but, the tail stock unit will travel the entire length of the bed.

Bottom line: for $125 there is nothing out there that will touch it. I have someone that wants to buy mine now and has tried it by turning a pen and is willing to pay list price to get my used unit. So, when you out grow your first lathe (and you will) you can pass it along to your kids or sell it without taking a bath or, simply hold on to it and use it to make pens and wine stoppers and key fobs ....

Chris

NO, I don't work for or have any finicial interest in grizzly...

About a year and a half ago I was in your boat.

I dont think I would go with the pen lathe. I cant comment on the durability of them since I dont have one and haven't done that much research on them.

The reason I would say no to it is simply its size. I started by making pens, but believe it or not, they can get old after awhile. While a mini lathe won't offer you tons more space, it will open up the possibilities quite a bit. I would say at the least go with the carbatech, as personally whatever I "start out with," I usually end up with for quite a while. If you decide hate it, you would only be out 30 dollars more with the carbatech (assuming you didnt sell it), and if you did end up love turning(which you probably will ) you would have a pretty good second lathe (I hope to someday do this).

Personally, I got a jet mini backwhen they were 199. If you need to stay around 100 dollars I would say gowith the carbatech. I have heard of lots of people using them, and cant rememberr any complaints. If I were buying my lathe now, I would probably end up getting the carbatech simply due to price and variable speed. At the same time, the jet mini is great.

Patrick
    Patrick Lane

I bought one of those pen lathes at a garage sale for very little money and used it for several months before upgrading to a JET mini. For the money you are looking at, the Wilton is a better deal. The one thing that I objected to most about the pen lathe was the #0 Morse taper..... that means you can't buy extra mandrels from anyone but JET!!! There are other problem features; but the Morse taper thing is the biggest headache. On the plus side if you have limited space or need a really portable unit....this thing would be great for use at a craft show.....small enough to fit in a brief case or back pack...only wieghs about 11 pounds!! For most folks, there are probably better alternatives; but those few special folks who need this type of lathe, there is nothing else like it!!

Mike,

My advice, for what it's worth, is to listen very carefully to what these other folks are saying....like Variable Speed is very important...and versatility will make you happy in the long run. The beauty of turning is not necessarily being able to turn a pen (although that is pretty fun). The great part about turning is taking a piece of wood and creating something that is uniquely you. Being limited to pens because of your equipment will leave you frustrated saying, "I wish I could turn a little bowl" or "wow, that's a nice piece of wood at the side of the road...too bad it won't fit on the lathe". I understand the budget concerns...but a few extra bucks will give you years of variety.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hey, thanks for all the advice and I will follow it. Maybe bigger is better and money won't be an issue if I get what I want and not for what I settle for. You have brought up many, many questions for me though concerning lathes and the features that they do or don't offer. I have no idea what a Morse taper is so I think I would be better off putting on the brakes and doing a little research to find out more about them in general and then deciding what I want/need. Any ideas about a good book or a good beginners site I could look into to satisfy my needs? ? This is by no means something I must have I just thought that the deal sounded too good to be true and as usual it is. I think I will be spending some more time on this forum reading up a little and maybe through a little osmosis I might be able to pick up some things as well that way. Besides, I spend enough time here I might as well make it worth it my while when I do get ready to take the plunge, or whirl as it may be.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate all the helpful and friendly advice. I swear sometimes I feel like I am talking to an old friend for advice and not people miles and miles away.

The best place to look (exluding the internet) is your local library. Any small-medium sized city should have a woodworking section that contains some turning information. Huntsville Public Library had both the Rafaan videos and books.

There is a really good website with what is basically a beginers turngin guide published. Its got like 15 chapters if I remember right. I will check tommorrow at work, I think I have at least the link saved.
    Patrick Lane

Grizzly

I have the grizzly that is pictured above. I second that one and he is right on with the pluses and minuses.

I was in your same position about year ago and for the money you cannot beat the bear.

Other pluses. 6" muslin wheels will fit on it. Very important if you are going to buff your pens. Grizz customer service has been nothing be good to me.

Another minus. You will get addicted to turning. You will most likely require another lathe if you want to step up to bowls or something like that.
    Matthew Poeller

Mike, as others have said, skip the pen lathe. But I disagree on the necessity for VS if your budget is a factor. Convenient for a Mini lathe? Yes. Worth the extra money? I don't think so. It's too easy to change speeds using the pullys. When (not if) you move to a larger lathe, VS becomes a LOT more important. I use basically 3 speeds on my Mini...lower for roughing out an unbalanced bowl blank, then after it's balanced go to a higher speed. I only use the highest speeds for pen turning or buffing. And you WILL want to branch out from pens, believe me! The mini lathe itself will be the least of your expenses if you imbark upon, and become addicted to, this hobby. Put that extra $100 towards tools, a chuck, jaws, a grinder, sanding supplies, or, inevitably, a larger lathe! DAMHIKT!
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 07-08-2005 at 10:09 AM.

I have a Jet 1236 and planning on buying a travelling lathe since I am almost on the road every weekend. I think I narrowed it down to either jet or delta mini's (VS if I can have my way).

I know the Delta mini went on sale for $150.00 at Lowes a while back...I am waiting for similar sales to come by now

Good thing about these is that they will share the accessories that I have now (MT2 really helps).

I agree on the VS not really being that important. Back when I was looking to get my Jet mini, I compared the base one with the one with variable speed. I just couldn't see the variable speed as being worth the extra 100 bucks. One note, correct me if I am wrong, the VS Jet mini isn't full range variable speed, as in you cant turn the nob and go from 0 to 3000 RPM. It works in 500 rpm increments or something like that and you have to move the belt to get from one increment to the next. As in you can go from 500-1000 with the variable speed, then move the belt and go from 1000-1500 with the variable speed.
    Patrick Lane

I bit the bullet for a Delta mini, at around $300, and am now, 1 year later, looking for a deal on a much larger machine. I've turned pens and stoppers on it easily, and even a small bowl or two and a 10" platter, but that's as big as it goes. My daughter wants a salad serving bowl now, so I guess I'll just have to upgrade.

Another positive for a mini: it has a #2 Morris taper and a 1" x 8 thread on the headstock, so any centers or chucks you buy for it will fit on most larger machines. I now have more money in tools and accessories than I paid for the lathe!

I just want to ad my two cents worth one more time. If you are new to turning and want to give it a try first, contact one of your area turning clubs to try with someone else's equipment or find a friend that has the gear. If then you think it is a hobby you would enjoy buy a mini lathe as a starter rig. Turn some pens, etc but, don't make yourself wait to buy the "icon" lathe. There are just too many well priced minis out there that will do good work and get your feet wet.

You can always save up for the PM3520a, Oneway, Stubby, Poolewood, Laguna... later, after you know you want to keep at it...

Chris