Thread: Wax after walnut oil

Wax after walnut oil

I am working on a Chestnut Burl Natural Edge Bowl that has to be ready for tomorrow night.
    I have just started wet sanding with walnut oil. After final sanding could I add Ren Wax or do
    I have to let the Walnut Oil Cure? Thanks in advance, Kevin

I think the result would be better after the oil cures, but another consideration is the use of the bowl. I probably would be hesitant to put a petroleum based micro crystalline wax on a utility bowl, and would probably opt for carnuba or beeswax, though they do sell a premixed walnut oil/micro crystalline combo. I broke up some carnuba I had not used, and heated it with walnut oil to create a blend to use on utility bowls. If you try that, it takes much more oil than wax to create an end product that can be used easily.

Personally, I think wax on a utility bowl is futile. I'd just oil it and buff it.

The other issue with wax is that when (not if) it's time for a refresh of the finish, the surface has to be cleaned more thoroughly before applying new finish than if the surface was unwaxed.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-27-2014 at 9:51 AM.

I use a walnut oil + beeswax paste on a lot of utility bowls. There are time when I don't have a paste worked up that I apply the beeswax after applying the oil. Beeswax is soft enough that later applications of the oil & wax mix work just fine. I would not attempt to use a hard wax on a semi-hardening oil like walnut oil.