Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't this the most popular mobile base design?

Why isn't this the most popular mobile base design?

I just saw this mobile base design (his video link for full details) on here and don't understand why it's not more popular. I'm not referring to the flip top, but the mobile aspect. Basically it's like turning the stand into a dolly. Two wheels in back that don't touch the ground when it's upright. To move it, tilt it back to balance it on the wheels then move it. What's the con that I'm missing in comparison to other mobile base designs? It seems to solve the biggest issue of getting 4 wheels to really lock and preventing movement when setup. Other designs that flip the wheels out of the way seem a tad more complicated to build (at least after looking at this). The only downside I see is that you need a little extra room to maneuver. I suppose there's also the off chance the whole thing could slip under itself since they would generally be top heavy. But literally... add two wheels and yer done! It seems too good to be true! Is it?

That's how Hammer combo machines move around. Minimax bandsaws too. I'm sure there's a lot more. Those two just happen to be right at my fingertips. I couldn't tell you why it's not more popular. Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

One downside to not having 4 swiveling casters is not being able to move sideways. I made a portable jointer/planer base that works something like the Hammer/Felder/Minimax principle but I come pretty much straight out and straight back, not much turning or rotation. It's quite stable but requires a 'multipoint turn' to change the 'north-south' orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    That's how Hammer combo machines move around. Minimax bandsaws too. I'm sure there's a lot more. Those two just happen to be right at my fingertips. I couldn't tell you why it's not more popular. Seems to make a lot of sense to me.
    Wow, those combo machines look really interesting. Well, if it works for them I'm tryin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    One downside to not having 4 swiveling casters is not being able to move sideways. I made a portable jointer/planer base that works something like the Hammer/Felder/Minimax principle but I come pretty much straight out and straight back, not much turning or rotation. It's quite stable but requires a 'multipoint turn' to change the 'north-south' orientation.
    I can see that. I guess it depends on your layout. I have a small space but this would still work for me. I'm thinking of putting the wheels in front and build out drawers over the wheel to avoid a tripping hazard.

Note the configuration around 4:20.

If designed correctly, you can spin in place.

My Laguna 14SUV has that kind of base and it is really handy. It came with a long bar with wheels that acts as a lever for the front--you center the bar under a little receiver on the base, move it from vertical to 45 degrees, and it levers the front of the bandsaw up enough that the two rear wheels engage the ground and you can roll it around. I find it very maneuverable. I think it is easier to move my bandsaw than my open frame sander on a "normal" base with two fixed wheels and two omni wheels.

The mobile base on my Woodtek 15" planer is like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    My Laguna 14SUV has that kind of base and it is really handy. It came with a long bar with wheels that acts as a lever for the front--you center the bar under a little receiver on the base, move it from vertical to 45 degrees, and it levers the front of the bandsaw up enough that the two rear wheels engage the ground and you can roll it around. I find it very maneuverable. I think it is easier to move my bandsaw than my open frame sander on a "normal" base with two fixed wheels and two omni wheels.
    Do you think it would be difficult to control by reversing it and moving it like a dolly? Would like to do away with the tow bar. My tools are all basic bench top ones like a small drill press and 9" bandsaw.

This design is a semi live skid.

It's been used for over a hundred years in industry.

I make all my mobile bases that way.

Here's a link to one I made to move a machine in the opposite plane to what the manufacturer intended.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

You don't even need to fabricate a base, just drill two axle holes in the cabinet, bolt on an angle iron bracket for the tow handle and you're done.

B3 002.jpg..........Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-15-2014 at 8:50 PM.

Something else I consider is where you'll grab the machine to move it. That's an advantage to mobil bases that use some sort of tow bar IMO. Here's the base I made for the Jointer/Planer

I know me. If I'd put casters on the feet, I'd be using the jointer beds as handles to push the machine around. That didn't seem like a good way to keep hinged jointer beds in alignment. I figure the jointer beds are engineered to take a fair bit of vertical load, not so sure about horizontal. Now I don't have to push on the machine to move it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was in a shop recently that utilized these mobile bases for every machine—the only way to go; if you can afford them:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...bile-base.aspx

By reversing it, do you mean putting the fixed wheels on the front and then just tilting the machine toward you far enough to engage the wheels? Seems like that would work. The only concern I'd have is that a tool on a table-level stand is probably top heavy; you'd want to make sure you can control the load so it doesn't get away from you and the wheels just roll out from under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    By reversing it, do you mean putting the fixed wheels on the front and then just tilting the machine toward you far enough to engage the wheels? Seems like that would work. The only concern I'd have is that a tool on a table-level stand is probably top heavy; you'd want to make sure you can control the load so it doesn't get away from you and the wheels just roll out from under it.
    Yah, that's my one concern. I can't really think of a safety measure if I lose control. I mean, they're not crazy heavy like "stationary" machines, all bench top models. Of course, heavy enough where I'm sick of picking them up each time I have to use them heh.

Blog Entries
    Seems more popular than one might think. Dad has johnson bar rings on most of his heavier items around the shop and uses a shop made bar to move them. My quarters are too tight for the bar but, I use a step pedal that is pretty much the same thing, just built in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler