Thread: the projects that you wouldn't expect

the projects that you wouldn't expect

I have been making pens for over a year now, and my wife(until May, my fiance) has never been overly impressed. Granted she always made the habbit of stealing her favorites, but she has never been to enthusiastic about them all things considered( the time/money involved). I have also started getting a little bored with themas well.

The other day after flipping through woodturners design, I made my first attempt at a honey dipper. It was ok, but nothing really spectacular, didnt even finish it. I took it in and tossed it to my SWMBO and she went crazy over it. When I told her that it took a couple minutes (and used a free piece of wood) she liked it even more.

Basically, I guess this is my motivation to branch out in the stuff I make.
    Patrick Lane

Good plan Patrick! Boy, if I'm bored with something, I'm outta there....life's too short. My Brother-in-law is hot-n-heavy on doing honey dippers. I think he's obsessed. But if it gives you joy and the LOYL is happy....then it sounds like a fine idea. (IMHO of course)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi Pat,

Good information! I have watched Richard Raffin turn honey dippers on his video and thought that one day I would give it a try. Sad to say, I have gone to bowls and boxes before indulging in some of the simpler pleasures such as honey dippers. I guess I will try one today. I do remember Richard Raffin saying to put 4 grooves in one because "3 is not enough and 5 is too many."

Chris

Thats funny. The article in woodturning design said to use 5 grooves because it "had" to be an odd number, and 3 wasn't enough. I don't know why or where this standard came from but when I started looking, most of the ones I found had 5 grooves and a few had 4.
    Patrick Lane

Possibly asian influence. They revere design in odd numbers, and so do most interior designers world ove. Examples abound. Try it yourself, placing different numbers of items on a table for display. Which do you like best? You'll find 3,5 or 7 better than 2,4 or six.
    Don't know why. Something hardwired into us?