Thread: Veneer suppliers?

Veneer suppliers?

Is there any wood veneer suppliers that sell flitches in shorter lengths? I am looking for both domestic and exotic ,I have been getting most of my veneer from Certainly Wood,but I need shorter lengths for making patterns,18" - 36" would work good for what I am doing.I have been looking around at some different sites,and finding shorter lengths of veneer seems to be pretty spotty,I didn't know if there was a supplier out there that specializes in shorter pcs.?

B&B Rare Woods will cut up longer flitches to your desired length. It also makes flat packaging easier for them.

What about Joe wood workers site?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought my veneer suppliers at Joe Woodworkers site: http://www.veneersupplies.com/ .

The service and products I received were top shelf!

No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You do know that CertWood sells bargain boxes of shorts, dom and exotic, as well as Marq. sections?
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

+1 for veneersupplies.com I got a few different things from there, and was quite pleased with everything from service to packaging and qualitly.

http://www.berkshireveneer.com Give these guys a call, pretty extensive selection, no guarantees but a definite possibility. Might be something a good supplier can start sourcing for you if it's a regular acquisition ?

I'll second the Berkshire Veneer recommendation. Ben the owner is a fellow member of the Berkshire woodworkers guild. An all around nice guy who is pretty knowledgeable!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    +1 for veneersupplies.com I got a few different things from there, and was quite pleased with everything from service to packaging and qualitly.
    What he said! Joe's the best, I built my setup from his plans. Great selection and quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    B&B Rare Woods will cut up longer flitches to your desired length. It also makes flat packaging easier for them.
    +1 on that. They are good folks to deal with. Still small enough to pay good attention to small and modest sized orders and they have an excellent variety in stock, all well photographed so you know what you are getting.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

This guy has been pretty good:

http://thinboards.com/
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions,I called around and no one seems willing to cut lengths off of full length flitches,which is understandable.I just thought maybe there was someone that catered to guy's that do patterns like radial matches.I know places like Certainly wood have packages of shorts,but it's all random species and length's.BRB said they will cut what you buy,but that doesn't solve my dilema.I have a designer that I work with that want's me to make alot of samples of different types of patterns,like radial matches,out of different types of wood (domestic and exotic).She want's to show them to customers for possibly using them as accent pieces in floors ,bar tops etc.The problem for me is,if a customer want's a design out of say,Ebony,it would be quite costly for me to make a 12 piece radial match that was only 2'x2' if I could only find full length veneer.I guess I need to come up with a plan before I make any promises about what I can offer.

Slightly off topic... when did Wood Shed go out of business? I bought a fair amount of top quality veneer from them over a few years; I think they were located near Certainly Wood (upstate NY).