Thread: Randon Orbit in General and Dewalt 5" Specifically

Randon Orbit in General and Dewalt 5" Specifically

Does anyone know how the pad brake works? I thought it had the rubber band like the old Porter Cables but I can't figure where it would hook up.

Does anyone know how these things actually work? Mine will totally stop spinning (randomly it seems) and I'm not sure what causes it. But it doesn'r seem right. I think you can stop with just pressure but that's not what I mean.

Dust Collection?
    Any suggestions for improving this? I took it apart and cleaned it but haven't tried it since. It didn't seem that bad inside but it did have some "caked" dust. I think it is better, the vacuum draw did seem pretty good. Before, it had virtually no dust collection, or very little.

Try blowing compressed air around the switch. Be careful though, dust will go everywhere!

As far as dust collection, I always have it hooked up to my shop vac, as the little filter things that come stock don't do much at all IME.

Several years ago my Dewalt would not quit spinning so I took it apart and figured out What was the brake pad and replaced it with a new one. No problems since. Sanders make dust and so I frequently blow my sanders out with an air gun. Keeps them working well. And whenever possible I use a vac for optimal performance and lung saving. I don't remember the replacement process being very difficult.
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 08-29-2014 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Spelling errors