Thread: Is this worth it?

Is this worth it?

I have a chance to buy a Craftsman 12" lathe, model #113228360 for $160. It's probably 15 years old but it's brand new in the box, never opened. Is this worth buying for a brand new woodworker? Is it fairly easy to learn and user friendly?

It may help if you would post some more details about the Lathe, maybe a picture or 2 also.

Have not used one, but looking a the manual (available here), a couple of comments:

1. If you get the lathe, you will probably want to replace the dead center on the tail stock with a 1MT live center
    2. The quill advance mechanism on the tail stock is certainly not current technology - others may comment on whether it is stable and easy to manipulate
    3. Motor is rated as 1/2 hp. - may be a little on the light side for larger turnings.
    4. The headstock spindle is 3/4" 16TPI ...not unusable, but you may want/need to get an adaptor to 1 x 8 for ease of use with current faceplates and chucks
    5. If it comes with turning tools, consider getting new ones. The steel may not be high speed steel, and the flute geometry of newer gouges make them easier to use.
    5. Get a low speed grinder for sharpening
    5. Find and attend a local turning club
    Last edited by Bruce Pratt; 08-29-2014 at 1:56 PM. Reason: link to manual

I started out with that lathe, if thats the one in that manual link, or a very close copy of it. I'ts not a very good lathe, in my OPINION. When I did have it, I was happy as a clam, since I had no idea it was so limited. I turned hundreds of pens with it. Not much spindles, since (I did not know at that time it was a junk lathe) I had lots of trouble. I thought it was me. No bowls got finished using the lathe. It has so much flex, turning a bowl was pretty much impossible, but I thought it was me. I'm sure I paid much less than that asking price brand new. I would avoid that lathe especially at that price. Maybe 50-75 bucks? You'll be stuck with small turnings. And the problems Bruce listed above. Maybe 50 bucks....

After years of use, it finally died. A new motor was 90 bucks, no thanks. I got a Jet Mini on sale for 219, and WOWEEEE. This is a lathe.... Big difference! Just a mini lathe? It's good point, it did last quite a few years, and I must have turned several hunderd pens. Jet mini for 219? Yes, it was a long time ago.

Just my $0.02. No offense intended to those out there that own that lathe. I apologize.

Awesome responses. Thank you for the in depth analysis. I'm so new I was kind of looking at making pens and bowls, mostly bowls. I did see another post (2 hour drive but maybe worth it) of a Jet mini lathe model 1015 brand new in box at $400 obo. Any ideas on using something that small for bowls? Is that a fair price or maybe $350? Another way to ask would be what size and hp would be required to get started with turning? You know, as a no-nothing newbie. I'm coming from doing carpentry and hand tool woodworking. I'm still new at that though.

I have the Jet 1014. The biggest limitation is the 1/2 hp motor. BUT, that has also been a blessing on the occasions that a serious catch actually stopped the spindle instead of thrashing me with the tool and various size chunks of wood at high speed. And if you think about it, you can turn stuff up to the diameter of a dinner plate. That isn't small to me.
    Price will depend on condition and what comes with it; i.e. chucks, jaws, tool rests etc. I paid $550 for mine but it came with some Sorby tools, a Oneway chuck, 4 sets of jaws, extra tool rests and a few other odds and ends. I have no regrets about starting with this lathe.

I started with a Craftsman tube lathe, which is one step up from this one, judging by the picture on the manual cover. Same type quill mechanism. My dad bought it for me for spindle work and I had it for 30 years before I got interested in bowls. I turned a few weed pots and some other small things, but the spindle is very small for any significant bowl blank ant the lathe isn't beefy enough for anything much, either.

I think bowl lathes are like motorcycles: buy the biggest one you can afford. I don't do pens, but I think except for the shop space required, a good big lathe will do as well as a mini. If you get into this. keep in mind the lathe will likely be less than half your investment.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

My first lathe was the C'man tube lathe.
    I still have the first small bowl I turned with it. Didn't even know how to sharpen, or that new tools were not sharp.
    I guess that if all ya have is a Band-Aid, any wound is minor.
    Ya gotta start somewhere.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.