Thread: Writing A Contract??

Writing A Contract??

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've contributed but have faithfully been reading the posts. Now I'm about to have a life altering event take place and have a related question. On July 29th, I will be leaving the NC Maritime Museum , where I've spent the last 20+ years as the Exhibit Designer, to take an early retirement. I want to pursue my interests in furniture design and construction, functional sculpture, architectural/site plan model making, & design consultation. My question is this. Do any of you use a contract for your woodworking jobs and if so, is there a format out their that I could use as a guide or template? I don't want to get too complicated about this, but I think some type of written agreement would be advisable. Any input, suggestions or samples would be welcome. I'm sure we've all been "stuck" in one way or another (I know I have) and would like to try to avoid hassles in the future.

Thank you all for the past sound advice and entertaining reading. I greatly enjoy reading this forum as well as the WoodOnLine.

Jerry Heiser

Do a search on CONTRACT forms. I use a little program, part of it is free, that can be printed and altered to suit.
    Steve

Jerry,

Here is a site that may give you a few ideas:

http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/usa/?ad=footer
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Just be sure you have any general contract you find at the sites suggested or at others reviewed by an attorney in your own state to be sure they are in line with your state's practices, laws, etc. You might just consider having a local attorney who specializes in business law deal with this for you up front. It shouldn't be a costly thing and will allow you to establish a relationship with a local resource that might come in handy over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent advice! The few times I didn't do it.......I would rather not recall!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Just be sure you have any general contract you find at the sites suggested or at others reviewed by an attorney in your own state to be sure they are in line with your state's practices, laws, etc. You might just consider having a local attorney who specializes in business law deal with this for you up front. It shouldn't be a costly thing and will allow you to establish a relationship with a local resource that might come in handy over time.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jerry,
    I have no advice about contracts but I did visit your museum this past spring. I was particularly impressed with the workshop across the street. Wish I would have known that you worked there. Would have been nice to have a fellow Creeker show me around. Enjoy your retirement.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Come on back!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Morrissette
    Jerry,
    I have no advice about contracts but I did visit your museum this past spring. I was particularly impressed with the workshop across the street. Wish I would have known that you worked there. Would have been nice to have a fellow Creeker show me around. Enjoy your retirement.

Lou
    Come on back, Lou. I'm sure I'll still be welcomed after I leave and I would be happy to give you the cook's tour. The boat shop across the street is a fun place. I did some boatbuilding myself in Bath, Maine at the Apprenticeshop back in '75. FANTASTIC experience. It was a great way to combine woodworking, sculptural elements and functionality(?) all in one.

I do the cheap and easy way. I buy preprinted forms at the local Staples, come in about 50 to a legal size pad, I carbon copy, so I can leave copy with client , when signed.
    The one I use is a proposal form , which is filled out as complete as pos. with complete description of what I will supply and do, with what and what I get in return, and payment schedule. All copies of all drawing are also signed and incorperated as part of specs. I also buy there change order forms, which I feel is of utmost importantance, these I fill out when anything is changed from original, whether it's a freebe, color or anything. Word of mouth doesn't count for spit. Lastly I have invoice forms, which I give them a copy of , when receiving a draw or any monies at all.
    Roger

Jerry,
    The process/form I use is a written estimate and contract in one. The estimate includes one section to detail the description of the project, a second materials section (all materials including finish materials are included). A third for detailed pricing, material cost, hardware, finish, labor, taxes AND a total cost figure. I also include a requirement for a 50% down in the contract. The last section is my warranty section.
    Lastly I have the client and myself sign the contract if all is approved. When changes are needed, prior to project start, a written revision is made to the contract and signed.

Jerry,
    All suggestions so far are great - but I would suggest you keep looking and talk to those who are actually in the business you want to under take - you have named a broad range of businesses, by the way, so one contract will not cover all.

You want to discuss issues that are very specific to each business - with furniture making, for example, wood movement might be a topic to cover in a contract - but certainly not in consulting contracts. I found that over the years my home building contracts got longer with each bad experience - a usual occurance with small businesses -

Some things are best covered by "information" sheets or company policy sheets that you give to customers - you can't cover everything in a contract and it is inappropriate to try to do so.

About the best advice I can give you, however, is NEVER to do business with a person with whom you are uncomfortable - no matter how much you are tempted - unless you want to tell your grandchildren a story about the time you had a customer you did not trust but did business with anyway.....you do not have to like every customer, but you had better trust every customer.

Ray
    Semper Fi

Thanks everyone. There's a lot of good advice and suggestions in the threads. I thought I was on the right track, now I feel more confident that I am. Thanks again.
    Jerry Heiser