Thread: Used motors

Used motors

I'm looking for a used motor, primarily after a healthy dose of sticker shock at the prices of new, and am running in to more roadblocks than I thought I might. Any body have a good searching method? Types of businesses that might have them. I need a single phase, 230v, 1700rpm TEFC.

Thanks

I would go to a metal salvage yard. The one near me has a dumpster container that's usually full of them and most are in near perfect condition or just need new bearings. Although you might end up with a defect, the chances are very slim and the price will run about $0.30 / pound, so it's worth taking the chance. If it turns out to be defective, they might even let you bring it back and swap it out for another similar one. At these prices you could buy several and still not spend anywhere near as much as you would for a new motor. I haven't done this recently, but some years back I bought a 2 hp motor this way and all it needed was to straighten a bent mounting flange.

Craigslist and Ebay are other places to look.

Charley

John: Many motor repair shops have repaired/refurbished motors around the Syracuse area. If you are replacing a dead one, check on repair costs. Some are simple fixes.

Jerry
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

eBay for new (old surplus) at used prices. I've bought two three phase motors on eBay in the last month. Delivered right to my door.

I see them on Craigslist everyday, I just looked at a 220 baldor on the Dayton Craigslist...

Here's one in your kneck of the woods in PHili.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4648869840.html

I've bought from these guys before: http://www.ebay.com/sch/electricmoto...&_armrs=1&_ipg

New motors but their pricing and shipping costs are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I've bought from these guys before: http://www.ebay.com/sch/electricmoto...&_armrs=1&_ipg

New motors but their pricing and shipping costs are good.
    If my jointer was working and I could pay for it from something I sold I would go for it. Three hundred out of pocket just hurts a little too much. I have it no problem...I would rather find an alternative.

Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    John: Many motor repair shops have repaired/refurbished motors around the Syracuse area. If you are replacing a dead one, check on repair costs. Some are simple fixes.

Jerry
    I don't know why I've drawn a blank on that route. Maybe my google skills are off but I can't seem to hit the mark yet. I'll keep trying that route though.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I see them on Craigslist everyday, I just looked at a 220 baldor on the Dayton Craigslist...

Here's one in your kneck of the woods in PHili.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4648869840.html
    Thanks for that. Missed that one. It almost looks as old (heavy) as mine. I might give that a look...not too far away.

John

If Ebay has high shipping cost, then you could find a few electric motor repair places near you in the yellow pages. You're near Philly, aren't you? You also could alternatively find out how much to repair the old.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    Thanks for that. Missed that one. It almost looks as old (heavy) as mine. I might give that a look...not too far away.

John
    I THINK I might just have a chuckle with this craigs listing.... 1/12 hp? .375" shaft?? Probably not what you're looking for but worth a try! Good Luck!