Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite shooting plane?

Just had a quick look. A Veritas shooting plane runs 345 euro (of course you want the PMV11 blade). Nobody jumped into the shooting board market overhere yet, but I see them available at 200 dollar at the other side of the ocean. Well, I've got a kid in college and the bills are starting to pile up this time of the year.

So, some tips to survive live in the not so ultimate world:

Make a simple basic shooting board from some left over pieces of plywood. Maybe a second one for miters.
    Cut a piece from a broomstick and make a hotdog handle.
    Sharpen the blade before you start shooting.
    Don't shoot every board you intend to use in a project. Usually it isn't necessary. Learn to saw straight instaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Learn to saw straight instaid.
    I agree; the best shooting plane is the one you don't have to use.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Unfortunately, some of us are not this talented.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

+1 to Kees' post. Unless I do _a lot_ of shooting and have worn blisters onto my thumbs that have turned into callouses, I don't plan to purchase a dedicated shooter. unless I win that lottery that I don't play... Am considering a LV LA jack as a semi dedicated shooter to take advantage of the lower blade angle but also have a couple kids and college on the horizon.

Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

LN 62 with hot dog

Blog Entries
    The $$$ beauties aside as you request . . . LV LAJ. Made a hot dog in about an hour.

SB-Guide-Rail 003.jpg . hot dog slot-finish 009.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Don't shoot every board you intend to use in a project. Usually it isn't necessary. Learn to saw straight instaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Even when a piece is knife marked and the polished side of the knife mark is left after the cut I like to shoot any thing that will be a reference edge or will show after assembly.

Some people enjoy the look of end grain.

I like it to be proud.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My sawing is improving but I depend on shooting the edges. It guarantees a straight square edge and it allows me to micro adjust the lengths and match lengths precisely. I depend on that accuracy for the following steps.

Perhaps over time I'll come to a point where I don't need to shoot as often, but I'm not there yet.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

OMG !
    When did they stop making this ?

It's a sign I have about everything I need. I haven't looked at tool catalogs for a while now.
    I like mine and one can do stuff with it that the dedicated shooter won't.
    Hey ! ! !
    I got me a rarity here.
    I know this isn't shooting in the photo but anyway a photo of mine. I have never taken a photo of my shooting boards. Too lazy to go take one right now.

Or you can just put the board in the vise well supported and use a small plane to pare where you need to to create a perfect end grain to end grain fit. I do that a fair amount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 09-03-2014 at 1:26 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Unfortunately, some of us are not this talented.
    Yep. And until then, a shooting board will make up for my poor hands.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Even when a piece is knife marked and the polished side of the knife mark is left after the cut I like to shoot any thing that will be a reference edge or will show after assembly.

Some people enjoy the look of end grain.

I like it to be proud.

jtk
    There are some simple solutions for that. First don't use the endgrain as a reference edge. Use a square from the side instead. BTW a lot of people use a tablesaw which produces a plenty straight edge.
    Second, plane the endgrain after assembly when you can use the plane in a normal upright position and skew the cut. A plane works a lot better like that.

I don't believe that shooting boards had the same prominent position in the past as they seem to have nowadays. Mostly used for miters only.

A shooting plane and board is a most useful tool when sizing and preparing boards for drawers and other "boxes" where the parts are narrow (1/2" and thinner). They enable one to accurately and efficiently sneak up on a close fit.

Is a shooting board absolutely necessary? Well, there are always work-arounds. One could freehand the edge. I suppose one does no actually ever need a handplane for smoothing either. Use a scraper or a piece of glass, or sandpaper ... I think that it is silly arguing that a shooting board is not needed. It's just a tool that makes some tasks more efficient.

Similarly, one does not need a dedicated shooting plane. Any bench plane can do the job. Some planes just do it better than others.

I have a surfeit of shooting planes and boards, to be sure. They are each much, much more than one needs for the job, but oh so nice to use.

My favourite is the combination of a Stanley #52 chute board and the LV (bevel up) shooting plane ...

Review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

The LN #51 is really excellent and unless you used them alongside one another, I cannot see anyone not finding this to be the most wonderful tool ...

Review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

When I demonstrate at wood shows I invariably take along my ramped shooting board and strike block plane ...

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...lockPlane.html

All these plane prepare the boards to do this ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

This past weekend I was working on my dovetail skills using some pine scraps squared up on the tablesaw when I decided to try shooting the ends just for the fun of it. Grabbing the bench hook and my low angle block plane and was surprised to find the ends turned out flat square and shiny, much nicer than what came off the saw. My knifed layout lines were easier to see which was nice. Still managed to butcher the dovetails though, I really need to mark those lines on the face of the boards.

So all that got me wondering if I should setup one of my planes as a dedicated shooter.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 09-03-2014 at 5:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have the LV shooting plane and love it. I originally started with the LV LAJ but the shooting plane is so much better that I have now put a 40% angle on the LAJ plane and use it as a super smoother.