Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Chisel Set

I would consider starting with the decent Narex now, and then, if I still wanted to later on, buy a "nice" set based on my experience (hopefully "years" rather than "weeks") and or perceived preferences. Owning two (or more) sets of chisels is pretty typical at any rate and then you have a set you don't mind knocking into something that looks a little dodgy and a set for the "good" projects. The nice sets available now will all probably do the job to most everyone's satisfaction, but as you gain experience, you will tend to develop personal preferences as to length of the iron, size/shape of the handle, etc. that may push you to one specific nice set over another perfectly acceptable set. Drop the $ on the Narex now and spend the rest on top quality sharpening stones.
    David

I have the LN set, but have never liked them for dovetailing because they don't hold their edge well enough. I bought the Narex set after trying a Narex mortise chisel. I find them much better for chopping and I save my LNs for paring. For the price, the Narex are great.

I do this stuff for a living. I get to deduct anything I spend on tools. My yearly budget for tools is around 20K, but that includes other things like scaffolding and stoneworking tools, as well as woodworking tools. Sorry boutique tool makers, but none of that budget will get spent on hundred buck chisels. Some days we use chisels all day long, and sometimes, several days in a row.

I have some really nice 750's that were passed down from my Dad, but they rarely get used, and not for the all day jobs. I have some Boxwood handled Marples that I bought new when I was younger, and have stumbled into a few other sets for next to nothing that I couldn't turn down. Those are the ones that get used in the shop. The ones that get used 95% of the time are the blue handled Marples/Record's. I like them just fine. They are easy to get really sharp, and hold the edge longer than you might expect. I have no desire to own any that are harder, and take longer to sharpen. Any of the Marples chisels will quickly take an edge that will slice off a shaving a fraction of a thousandth thick on endgrain. They can still be found individually, and in sets, fairly cheaply on ebay.

Just for what it's worth in the conversation. I'm not trying to talk anyone into, or out of buying what you want.

Thank you you everyone for the quick responses. It looks like the majority recommends the Narex as a first set with LN close behind. David's response made a lot of sense to me. It sounds like the Narex will require a bit more work as far as flattening and sharpening, but I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I would consider starting with the decent Narex now, and then, if I still wanted to later on, buy a "nice" set based on my experience (hopefully "years" rather than "weeks") and or perceived preferences. Owning two (or more) sets of chisels is pretty typical at any rate and then you have a set you don't mind knocking into something that looks a little dodgy and a set for the "good" projects. The nice sets available now will all probably do the job to most everyone's satisfaction, but as you gain experience, you will tend to develop personal preferences as to length of the iron, size/shape of the handle, etc. that may push you to one specific nice set over another perfectly acceptable set. Drop the $ on the Narex now and spend the rest on top quality sharpening stones.
    As far as stones go, after reading a few other threads, I'm thinking about going with 1000, 4000, 8000 shaptons (pro) and a diamond plate.

Blog Entries
    Jeremiah,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. You may live close to another member who would be happy to let you test drive their chisels before you make a decision.

I have never tried the Narex chisels, but from the comments of everyone here who has purchased a set they sound like a good buy.

If it is possible for you to attend a Tool Event (sponsored by Lie-Nielsen or another wood show) you will get to put your hands on some of the different chisels to see how they feel in your hand.

To me the feel in my hand is important enough that almost all of my chisels are socket chisels so a quick session at the lathe can make a new handle to my liking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I live in Southern California. I'm sure I could use some of the other students chisels to get a feel for them. I do need my own set of chisels ASAP, so I wouldn't be able to do that for my first set. I'm required to attend a woodworking event in one of my courses, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities down the road to handle other chisels. I think I'll make a more personalized purchase then.

I will be taking some lathe courses in the future, so I suppose new handles wouldn't be a problem either.
    Last edited by Jeremiah Moore; 09-03-2014 at 1:18 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah Moore View Post
    Thank you you everyone for the quick responses. It looks like the majority recommends the Narex as a first set with LN close behind. David's response made a lot of sense to me. It sounds like the Narex will require a bit more work as far as flattening and sharpening, but I can live with that.

I'm a noob and had a similar dilemma. Ended up with a few Japanese chisels and a set of Stanley SH 750s. The good thing about Stanleys the steel is tough and I don't have to worry about the chisels when I do rough work. LN or LV are definitely too good and too expensive for my skills. Anyway, congratulation with a great present to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To me the feel in my hand is important enough that almost all of my chisels are socket chisels so a quick session at the lathe can make a new handle to my liking. jtk
    +1 on this
    I had a decent set of Japanese chisels that gave me the creeps.

Nothing wrong with the steel.
    I hated the hoops.

I use Narex BE bench chisels and mortise chisels from LV, and I'm pleased with their performance, especially for the price. I bought the skew chisel set but don't use them. They are based on 1/2" chisels and are too large in many cases.

10. David said it best....it doesn't really matter. However since you asked for a recommendation , I can personally recommend the narex chisels. They can hold a very good edge in my experience. I saw a review that put it best "they are cheap in price but not cheaply made". If I do recall FWW tested them in a chisel shootout and they were rated just below the on and lv. HOWEVER as I have noticed, and the replies above indicate, ask 3 woodworkers on chisel advice and you'll get 8 answers. Watching videos of many woodworkers you'll see much variety (like Doucette and Wolfe using blue handles on their work). Remember for the $275 us you spend on the LN you can get the narex set, some good sharpening equipment AND possibly a good user plane off eBay that your top not sharpening set can be used on.......but just my humble opinion.

Respectfully,
    Josh

Blog Entries
    Well you have gotten a lot of good advice, and ultimately you have to decide what gives the best advantage and least compromise. I LOVE my Lie-Nielsens, and just wanted to comment about the fit for large hands. Although only 5'7", I have the hands of Goliath. I find the LN's comfortable to hold with the standard handles. The long handles are actually for paring where you are not hitting the chisel, but using your hand alone and the long handle gives more control and leverage.

Since you get a 10% LN discount, take advantage of it at least for a pair of skewed chisels or a fishtail chisel for your dovetail work, then if you want to get a less expensive (not "cheaper", but less expensive) set, then you will still get to try out the LN's and when you go to get the full set you already have a few accessory chisels. One thing about the LN's- the handles are removable, which is good, but you might want to either glue them in, or at least put hairspray on them (sounds crazy, but works) to get them to stay seated.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Narex make skew chisel sets quite inexpensive.
    Yep. However I wanted something narrower than 1/2" and bought two of the 1/4" chisels and ground my own. That was also when I was playing around with small houndstooth dovetails.

I have larger than average hands so fit was important for me. I went to WIA and tried the LNs and the LVs and the BSs (Blue Spruce). I liked them all, but in my hands the LVs felt the best, so I bought the full set (one time money windfall.) Since then I've bought the Narex mortise set and the Narex paring sets (introductory price too good to pass up.) I totally skipped Japanese chisels because I was (and still am) totally mystified by the the different steel types, different smiths, the whole hoop thing, etc. The LV PM-V11 steel really is better (in my less than experienced woodworking mind.)

If you can't try them, in person, then I'd say get the Narex and worry about upgrading when you know more. If you can try them, get the ones that fit your hand and mind the best, regardless of price within reason.

JMO & YMWV

Blog Entries
    Derek Cohen, a frequent poster here, has some excellent tool reviews on his pages, including reviews of chisels. He does a test or two to compare various steels used for different types of chisel work too. Derek owns many of the tools he reviews and is one of our more experienced wood workers. Derek posts many projects, jigs and tools he has completed using very hard native Australian woods:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/index.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rudolph View Post
    Yep. However I wanted something narrower than 1/2" and bought two of the 1/4" chisels and ground my own. That was also when I was playing around with small houndstooth dovetails.
    Funny we have them here in sets down to 6mm. Not that there is anything wrong with making them .