Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need tool to measure inside carcass (or other insides): woodpecker?

need tool to measure inside carcass (or other insides): woodpecker?

Is there a tool that will allow me to get the dimensions of an inside of a carcass so I can transfer these dimensions for my cut? For example, say I have made a carcass and want to fit the back exactly. I could take a long piece of wood, put one end just inside one edge, and make a pencil mark on the piece of wood where it hits the other edge. I could then transfer this to my stock and cut it accordingly.

However, a scrap piece of wood and a pencil won't give a very precise mark. I would like something that fits inside and expands out, or a stick with sliding blocks that fits exactly inside the carcass. Does Woodpecker's story stick allow this type of measurement.

(Note: I said I want to measure because I didn't now how else to describe my problem. Really, I don't want inches or millimeters, but a device to transfer the width.)

ezwoodshop.com makes a telescoping story stick that I think fits your description. I have one and it works pretty well.

Jim

Two sticks and a spring clamp.

Lee Valley sells a nifty rig that allows one to make bar gauges for a very reasonable price. I have several sets, and use them all the time.
    or use two sticks and a spring clamp, like Jamie said.
    Paul

Here's the link to the bar gauges that Paul Cottingham referred to: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43513,43553

On a whim I bought a pair a few years ago, made up a set, found them very useful, then went back and bought another set. Handy to have a round.

I use flat plastic rulers with a spring clamp holding them together.

If the expanse is long enough, I'll use two clamps.
    I don't trust that first measurement to "money wood",
    I'll make a test piece to fit, first.

Mark Spagnuolo has a page devoted to making these,
    with straight sticks and blue tape, instead of spring clamps.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...suring-sticks/

Veritas makes a set of "bar gauge heads" designed to make a nicer set, using straight wood stock.
    The rulers are cheap, and plenty big enough to measure most things for me.

You could easily mock up something like this with "Yard sticks" for expanses greater than 36".

http://www.veritastools.com/products/Page.aspx?p=70
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 09-03-2014 at 7:16 AM.

I carry a folding rule in my back pocket in the shop.

I use a Lufkin folding ruler. It has a 6" brass extension that works well for inside measurements. Open the ruler to the nearest fold that will fit and then extend the brass piece. The measurement is the reading on the last fold plus the measurement on the 6" brass piece. Very simple and very accurate. Folding rulers aalso let you take long measurements where you can't reach the other end. They don't collapse like steel tape measures do.

Charley

+1 on the Lee Valley Veritas Bar Gauge.

I also typically use a Lufkin folding ruler for most of my project measuring, but do use a shop-made gizmo to check the ID of boxes when I want a story stick instead of a number off a ruler. I cut two lengths of about 1/2" x 1/2" (or so) hardwood material around 15" long each, put an "arrow" point on each end of both, then routed a long slot down the middle of one the pieces and added a screw in one end of the other. I stack one stick over the other with the screw running through one and tightened in the other. I use this as a diagonal checker across the inside of drawers to confirm they are square. I meticulously made a couple of little hollow squares (glued up some small ply pieces) that fit around the two lengths (one stacked on the other) to keep them aligned when I slid the slotted end out, but I lost one and stepped on the other. My slot and screw arrangement does not have much play in it, so it works without the squares.
    David

Blog Entries
    Two paint sticks from the paint store and two binder clips will make story stick to measure inside dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Here's the link to the bar gauges that Paul Cottingham referred to: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43513,43553

On a whim I bought a pair a few years ago, made up a set, found them very useful, then went back and bought another set. Handy to have a round.
    I also have 3 sets of the LV bar gauge sets made up.

Extremely useful, including to check drawers and cabinets for square..................Rod.

Blog Entries
    Folding rule works for me......

I have the Veritas bar gauges and they work well. However, I splurged and ordered up the spendy, sweeter Woodpeckers version...they are due in October IIRC.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

+1 on the folding rule. It also has the added benefit of spanning distances in areas where your reach might be limited or awkward.