Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need tool to measure inside carcass (or other insides): woodpecker?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I have the Veritas bar gauges and they work well. However, I splurged and ordered up the spendy, sweeter Woodpeckers version...they are due in October IIRC.
    I got the Woodpeckers ones some time ago. As you say, spendy, but very nicely made and easy to use. I got various kinds of tips and the trammel point attachments too.

Yep, Steve, I went for their "kit" version which included all the bells and whistles. I'm really looking forward to it...one of these days!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Stanley tools made beautiful ones, in the past, that you can find at tools sales or antique stores. Basically two yardsticks, brass end and with a built in screw clamp. They came in several sizes 2 ft, 4 ft etc all the way up to 10 or 12 ft. Which are great for house projects. Companies are missing a bet in not duplicating these as they are easy to use and are dead accurate. I have a 1/2 doz in different sizes and use them frequently.

Arizona now....New mexico maybe in a year or two

Blog Entries
    Two sticks and a spring clamp will work now and then and I do this often enough. If you want to set things down and go back to them, the Lee Valley bar gauge heads work great for me. I have two sets and several sets of bars that I ripped from straight grained ash. I also find the brass pins to be handy although they used to be included. Maybe enough people don't use them so they started to sell them separate . . . I don't remember clearly. They're now about $15; I don't remember what they were back when I got them but, with free shipping (like right now), it was pretty insignificant.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-03-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by dennis davidson View Post
    Stanley tools made beautiful ones, in the past, that you can find at tools sales or antique stores. Basically two yardsticks, brass end and with a built in screw clamp. They came in several sizes 2 ft, 4 ft etc all the way up to 10 or 12 ft. Which are great for house projects. Companies are missing a bet in not duplicating these as they are easy to use and are dead accurate. I have a 1/2 doz in different sizes and use them frequently.
    I have an old Stanley 4 foot bar gauge from my grandfather and another short bar gauge I made from the Veritas kit. I like the looks of the one from ezwoodshop.com and am thinking about getting a set for longer boxes.

7. I use two metal rulers held together by a couple rare earth magnets. Which two metal rulers I use depends on the span I need to measure.

Enlighten me to what I'm missing here? I use a tape measure and can get a cut to fit as tight as I want.
    -Lud

I've never been good about guessing what the tape measure is telling me when it curls up the side for an inside measurement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Enlighten me to what I'm missing here?
    They are talking about inside measurements where the measuring tool touches opposite inside walls.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I understand that, Glenn. But I rarely miss a cut using a tape measure and it's "butt" measurement. Take a Stanley tape for example: its' plus 3". In my mind, the time it takes you to "fiddle your sticks" I could already tape butt measure and make cut(s). 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another I suppose.

Chris - I'm with ya. I never bend the tape into a joint to get a measurement, too inaccurate.
    -Lud

Measuring to a number has the potential to be inaccurate so I do everything I can to avoid using numbers. Tape measures aren't the most accurate means of measuring anyway...at least mine aren't.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Measuring to a number has the potential to be inaccurate so I do everything I can to avoid using numbers. Tape measures aren't the most accurate means of measuring anyway...at least mine aren't.
    If you are using a good tape measure then the inaccuracies can not be attributed to the tools. Hmmm, what else might there be?

Nonetheless, I'll stick with my two metal rules and rare earth magnets (with or without the numbers).

If the same tape measure is used to measure the opening and the board being cut, then any inaccuracies are carried over and the cut is the same as the measure. I build cabinets to the 1/32. That all but guarantees my fit to be snug and true.
    -Lud

Just ordered a pair of the LV bar gauge heads, along with a few other items, taking advantage of their free shipping. I guess they listened to the customer; the set now comes with the brass pins. Can't wait to put them to use.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Two sticks and a spring clamp will work now and then and I do this often enough. If you want to set things down and go back to them, the Lee Valley bar gauge heads work great for me. I have two sets and several sets of bars that I ripped from straight grained ash. I also find the brass pins to be handy although they used to be included. Maybe enough people don't use them so they started to sell them separate . . . I don't remember clearly. They're now about $15; I don't remember what they were back when I got them but, with free shipping (like right now), it was pretty insignificant.