Thread: Have big hand? like small planes?

Blog Entries

Have big hand? like small planes?

lumberjocks.com/projects/105339

It reminds me of the Bat-Mobile (sp?..)
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-03-2014 at 1:27 PM. Reason: Removed active forum link.

It looks neat. However, I think a small amount of use will loosen the tote/handle (What would the correct term be?) due to the longer torque arm.

Blog Entries
    I can never understand why people feel they have to get their hand all the way around a plane's tote.

Often even with a #4 or #5 my hand is in a relaxed grip with the tips of my fingers touching the area around the depth adjuster.

For truly small planes like a #1 or #2 there isn't really any other way to use them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

4. I can almost see making a handle that is shifted back to allow more room for a big hand. almost. with my #2, I generally have 3 fingers wrapped around the tote, with thumb and forefinger on the cheeks. no need to have all of your fingers in there. that handle is hung for a bull force stroke- not something you want to do with a small plane. and the thumbhole? that makes it clear that the handle is either a deliberate joke- a woodworking pun in 3 dimensions- or else it just wasn't thought through at all.

Blog Entries
    Um, I don't want to be the nay-sayer, but does that person know that the thumb hole in a D8 handle is supposed to be for your other hand to help push the saw through the cut? It's also a little tail heavy- looks like it needs wheelie bars.

But hey- points to this person for going for it. He is way ahead of the person that never tries. Who knows, it may work well for him.

Anything small where there's a lot of party going on behind the iron, I usually just have my pinky and ring finger around the tote with my thumb, forefinger, and middle finger forming a "U" shape and my fore/middle fingers naturally end up resting on the side of the iron near the top of the frog.

Oh hey! Bridger! I've seen you over on /r/woodworking! Good to see we have some SMCers over on Reddit! (I'm BarefootWoodworker over there).
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.