Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on Rockler Pro Phenolic Router Table

Your Thoughts on Rockler Pro Phenolic Router Table

What are your thoughts on this one, anyone own one, what do you think? I checked this one out and it looks nice, you can get in on sale right now (free stand) for $399.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-pro-p...table-packages

It looks like a decent basic table, but nothing you can't just build on your own.

I have Incra's Table and LS Super System Combo #3 and have never looked back. It is more expensive but, as far as I'm concerned, it is about the best you can buy.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/Rout.../rtcombo-3.htm
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

If that table is made for Rockler by Jessem, I would suggest staying away from it. I have had 2 of the Jessem phenolic tops and they have both sagged.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Any 3/4 phenolic(or most other things for that matter) will sag if they don't have adequate support under them. That said, I have heard of several case of flatness issues with those particular tops. Still if you put enough frame work under it, the top will likely work well. If you want to only support the edges and hang a 15 pound router from it, yeah it will sag.

That was my thought too, it looks like the supports for the stand are closer to the router plate than too the edge, so it should have good support, but could always add more support when I build a custom cabinet.

I have one and it doesn't take long to sag if you keep a router mounted. The sag is not significant, and I've been able to work around it so far. I had always planned to build one when I had the time, but it's pretty far down on the list.
    Last edited by David Masters; 09-04-2014 at 6:46 PM.

I have that table. It sags about 1/32" even without a router mounted. I have the Rockler table to go with it and there's not much support through the middle of the table. I'll likely add additional support near the plate soon.

You don't think you could build that in a couple hours for $150?

When my first Jessem sagged, Jessem sent me the "new and improved" support rails to add to the stand that came with the top. I could not get the table level using the levellers on the rails. They replaced the top - to their credit. Even with the support rails in place, the replacement top sagged. I am using a PC 7518 router in it. It was one of the routers recommended by Jessem.

I spoke to a local plastic supply guy who told me that it was entirely reasonable that 3/4 phenolic supported as mine is would sag with the weight of the lift and the router in it. Phenolic is simply not the best material for this application.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have my Woodpecker phenolic top mounted on top of the 3/4" sheet of birch ply and then to the stand. I am hoping I do not see it sag under the weight of my lift and PC 7518.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I was thinking of doing the same thing if I got it.

George, old thread but I was wondering how your phenolic top was holding up. Any sag?

Thanks.

I detect no sag. I have not actually checked it but when I recently used the table, and I have used it a lot recently, I detect no sag when routing both small and wide pieces.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thank you. I'm at the point of deciding between WoodPeckers MDF or phenolic. I don't mind spending the extra on phenolic, but the inch and a half thick MDF just seems sturdier to me.

I have the Rockler phenolic top and steel stand, I would not buy it again.

The phenolic top will sag if you do not have support around the plate opening underneath, also the steel stand top is not coplanar, not good for mounting the top on it.

I ended up building a router table cabinet, and mounted the phenolic top on it. The cabinet has 9 drawers, also the underneath enclosure for dust collection.