Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Converting Cinder Block Barn To Woodshop

All the sound isolation threads I have read always suggest the same basic thing. Room within a room.

If you are going to put up stud walls to insulate then your half way there. Just make sure that the studs you put up do not come into direct contact with the block wall. Don't screw, nail or glue them to the cinder block. Attach them to the floor and ceiling and that's it. There is also a tube of sound proofing glue/calk that you can apply to the studs before you put up the drywall or OSB.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Karl, You have a nice project ahead for sure. My plan would be to completely gut the interior, paying attention to any load bearing supports. Then pour your floor as recommended in previous posts. Then you can run some tools inside and have some one listen to them outside. Sound attenuation is good, but, if you don't need it, why pay for it. I can bearly hear my 5 HP compressor that is in an un-insulated barn when Iam on my porch. It's about 100 feet from my barn to my house. Good luck with your project.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Karl, You have a nice project ahead for sure. My plan would be to completely gut the interior, paying attention to any load bearing supports. Then pour your floor as recommended in previous posts. Then you can run some tools inside and have some one listen to them outside. Sound attenuation is good, but, if you don't need it, why pay for it. I can bearly hear my 5 HP compressor that is in an un-insulated barn when Iam on my porch. It's about 100 feet from my barn to my house. Good luck with your project.
    Joe
    You make a very good point!

Is sound leaking through the ceiling important?

I've dug into the archives here and followed up links posted on this thread to outside information on soundproofing. There always seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on sound coming through the walls, but not so much on ceilings. Is it because the sound is directed upwards, that makes it not as important, or is it just assumed that what goes for the walls also goes for the ceilings?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has responded to this thread--you all have given me a lot of food for thought and I greatly appreciate it!

Karl