Thread: Advice On New Used To Me Lathe

Question Advice On New Used To Me Lathe

Hello Turner's,

I have found an ad for what appears to be a Jet
    JWL-1642EVS 1 1/2 hp 115v

The guy is asking $1500.00, that includes some tools and accessories. In the Picture looks like a Face Plate and some Jigs are included.

Have not seen it in person yet but the picture looks good.

It comes with a Grizzly sharpener also, not sure of the model yet.

I see that a new Jet JWL-1642EVS on Amazon runs about $2300.00

It sounds like a good deal to me, Thoughts?????

I bought a 1642EVS 2 hp about 5 years ago . I had some problems with my motor . it was all taken care of by jet . but I would run the motor at all speeds listen for a grinding noise. run it in forward and reverse. run it for awhile . I'm very happy with mine ,I was told the got a bad batch of motors back then . The price sounds about right .you can always make him a offer.

The faceplate comes with the lathe when new. Depending totally on condition and the "extras", the price might be good. Jet has sales and the price of the 1.5 hp probably would be closer to 2150, or so, but you might have sales tax and freight depending on the sale. You would have the warranty on a new lathe.

Lot of folks here on the creek turn on a 1642, including me. Some have the 1.5 - others the 2hp. Both groups seem happy with what they have.

I have had the 2hp version now for about 3.5 years, so far no complaints. The only problem I have experienced is that I have had to replace the on/off switch once but if you do some research you will find that is a typical first problem with many different brands. Problem was covered under warranty but would not be a major expense if out of warranty. The price sounds good and generally speaking it is a great lathe.

"The best things in life are not things."

IMO, for lathe alone, the price is high - to me, it depends entirely on what extras are included.

Thanks all! I emailed the guy, (Craigs List). So far no response, after a little checking the post was not the 1st, he has had this for sale for awhile. Probably another Craigs List flake.