Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Me, To Me

Talking From Me, To Me

Well since I am now officially retired, I thought it only fitting that I get myself a little retirement present, and it came in today.

After spending the last 3 months looking and looking at bigger lathes, I decided on the Nova DVR 3000. I had it converted to 220 volts which brings it up to 2.3 hp and I can now turn 16" over center and up to 29" off to the side using the optional outrigger. It came with a 12" tool rest, 3" faceplate, live center and 4 prong spur center.

Along with the lathe and outrigger I also got a SuperNova2 companion chuck with the woodworm screw, the 4" power grip jaw set and the 45mm spigot jaw set. While I was at it (and since my wife said this would be my last tool purchase so get it now) I also got the vacuum adaptor and face plate for it. This set up will work using a normal shop vac instead of a vacuum pump.

Also last week I was talking with a friend and he said he had a Kelton coring system that he was going to sell and he would give a deal I couldn't refuse, and guess what, I didn't.

The stand (old work bench) that the DVR is sitting on has been beefed up and is now solid and weighs about 200 lbs by itself, the lathe weighs 181 lbs and the outrigger is another 40 lbs and when I get the other 4 bags of the sand for the shelf (300 lbs total) it will weigh around 700 + lbs. I don't think it will be going anywhere!

So now if anyone knows someone that is looking for an older 12" lathe with a 3/4 hp motor and stand, along with a sanding attachment. I can make them a real good deal on one.

Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Pretty impressive Dick... I'd like to see it covered in shavings!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi Dick,

I was wondering if it came today, looks grrrrrrreat. I know you will enjoy. Have fun, and happy turning.

Did you plug it in yet??? ok, ok, I see the plug now

Bill>>>>>>>>>>
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 07-06-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks guys, I did turn it on and am very impressed so far. By the time I got everything together I was to worn out to try and turn anything. That will come tomorrow. Got a bunch of reading to do first.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Woooo Hoooo Dick,

Great retirement gift (even if it was from yourself ). You are going to really enjoy that new, as Tyler refers to them - TOYL!

Great Score, Dick - Enjoy it, buddy!

Kurt

Hiya Dick,

What a great gloat! Tell me how the Kel system works out, I think I have one of those in my future...

Chris

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Way cool Dick, Great new Toyl. Ahh the fruits of your labor!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Awright, Dick! You deserve it, my friend! I'm sure it will bring you many hours of enjoyment! I ran one of the older units with the VSR on it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With your turning expertise, I'm sure we'll be seeing many prize winners in the very near future!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Very nice "gift to thy self" to celebrate a wonderful occasion, Dick!! I have no doubt you'll really enjoy the VS and capacities of this lathe for the kind of work you do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great Dick! I will look forward to trying it out later this month.
    Sparky Paessler

Dick, congratulations on a great retirement gift. I'm kinda surprised that, given the lathe's specs re. power, swing, small footprint, as well as a good price, I don't see more turners using them. Maybe the newer technology, or lack of a sturdy factory stand has scared some people off, but, as we see here, this lathe can be made to be a very solid and capable machine. I will give it serious consideration when I'm ready to upgrade. In the meantime, I'll be interested to see how you like it as well as what you produce from it. Have fun!
    Ed

Hi Dick,

Presents to yourself are often best because it is what you really want! I hope you a long and productive new career. To qoute Ray Thompson, "Retirement is not for sissies!"

Have fun with your new tool.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Congratulations on your new acquisition Dick. New spinny things are always good to get. I don't understand however the comment about this being your last new tool though. You might want to renegitiate that deal with SWMBO or at sosme point you're going to be unhappy. I would suggest that you be forceful, but I suspect that a new avatar of you with frying pan marks on your face woudn't be very pleasing to most of us. Play safe on your new toy.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Congrats Dick:

Someday I might Grow up, too, and get a BIG LATHE!

Bruce

Glad You Got It Dick! you have earned it buddy!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel