Thread: Amish Barn Raising

Amish Barn Raising

This is a time lapse video over 10 hours! Wonder if any power tools were used? Mesmerizing to watch.

Cool to watch. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Hardest working folks you'll find. Love the video. I always wanted to participate in a barn raising.

Power tools depend on what the bishop allows. Here, they can use them if they're not using them on Amish property, and can own them. On their own property, power is pneumatic driven by a diesel powered compressor.

If the Amish use concrete for the foundation of the barn then I hope that a power tool was use to haul the mix and to pour it

It takes a village.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    If the Amish use concrete for the foundation of the barn then I hope that a power tool was use to haul the mix and to pour it
    Of course. Though they may pay for their concrete. There was a PBS special or something similar not long ago about an amish owner of a contracting company, and he was doing concrete work. It was hauled in locally like anyone else.

Other than specifics, do what the bishop says is OK is pretty much it. If you get in a fight with the bishop, you can find yourself out of the church and your relatives aren't even technically allowed to talk to you.

The ex amish around us (well, where I grew up - old order) had to start fresh when they left. Maybe that's relaxed some now. I know a few who flout the rules for leisure, but not for work (in terms of going against the bishop's rules). They do everything around central PA, from brick repointing to farming. You usually can't beat their rates because they'll work hard for not too much money. They do have a driver who takes them to job sites, but most of the drivers are foremen or some other useful position and do some work, too.

I did see a crew doing the roof on the church here down the street (western pa), they were probably from ohio, and their driver didn't do anything other than sit in the van and give people dirty looks. He could've done roof work, too, but I guess he was a hired driver only and chose to sit in the car on his phone instead.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Of course. Though they may pay for their concrete. There was a PBS special or something similar not long ago about an amish owner of a contracting company, and he was doing concrete work. It was hauled in locally like anyone else.

Other than specifics, do what the bishop says is OK is pretty much it. If you get in a fight with the bishop, you can find yourself out of the church and your relatives aren't even technically allowed to talk to you.

The ex amish around us (well, where I grew up - old order) had to start fresh when they left. Maybe that's relaxed some now. I know a few who flout the rules for leisure, but not for work (in terms of going against the bishop's rules). They do everything around central PA, from brick repointing to farming. You usually can't beat their rates because they'll work hard for not too much money. They do have a driver who takes them to job sites, but most of the drivers are foremen or some other useful position and do some work, too.

I did see a crew doing the roof on the church here down the street (western pa), they were probably from ohio, and their driver didn't do anything other than sit in the van and give people dirty looks. He could've done roof work, too, but I guess he was a hired driver only and chose to sit in the car on his phone instead.
    I hope that this driver got pay by the mile ,not by the day

"Many hands make light work" (John Heywood)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yeah, Mike ,but requests for help should be in writing. RAISING and RAZING are unfortunate opposites, there have been
    some cases of late arrivals tearing down one end while the other end was being finished.

We had a similar day at mom's house on Saturday. She had a long list and there was my brother and I plus 3 sisters and some in-laws to get the work done. Donuts for break, a huge lunch, and a pile of work done at the end of the day. Hard to beat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Very impressive video. It must be a kit they were putting together though. Everything was pre-cut but it was still very impressive. I couldn't believe the number of guys up that roof - holy smokes I would love to see that in person.

By the way, I'm hoping the Amish Mafia TV program will be starting soon on Discovery channel - I love that show