Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems post-cutting/painting PMMA

Problems post-cutting/painting PMMA

I'm making small signs from 3mm thick clear PMMA acrylic sheet. I cut a shape out (such as an oval) with my Speedy 300, I spray one side with acrylic primer, then etch a reversed design into it and back paint it with acrylic colours. I then bond another sheet to the back using clear PVA glue to create a double thickness laminate; this glue is not spread right to the edges. However often within a few hours I see small cracks appearing at the edge of the uppermost piece. Over 24 hours these get bigger.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these cracks to appear? Its going to be a real problem for me if I cant solve it.
    Cheers, Steve

--

Trotec Speedy 300, Rated at 89.8 watts.
    Atmos Duo, Rotary Attachment, Corel Draw 7

Steve

Only a guess but I suspect the acrylic is extruded and when cut with the laser is stressed in such a way as to cause the cracking that you see. This is often accelerated with the use of chemicals such as bonding materials, paints and solvents. Sometimes you can see it before your eyes if you take a scrap piece and apply alcohol or some other solvent to it.

I have used cast acrylic without problem. You might also try tape instead of cement.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    If you must use that acrylic, you'll need to anneal it after you're done cutting with the laser and before you use any form of solvent... paint, cement, etc.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    ...you'll need to anneal it...
    Please elaborate as to the technique you recommend Dan... I'm not familiar with how to do it.
    Cheers, Steve

--

To relieve the stress in the acrylic sheets or to anneal you have to heat the sheet for a few hours then cool it slowly. You really need an over that can circulate the air.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You're probably not going to anneal anything like that successfully, in your home, on a regular basis for production.

Any reason you have to use the liquid to glue it? If it's back painted, I'd use a glue sheet between the two. There are all sorts of glue sheets, or adhesives in roll form. Some are colored, some are clear, some are optically clear. I'd head in that direction if possible.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Is the "crazing" on both sheets or just the painted one? If it's just the painted piece, I'd guess it has to do with the paint. What brand and type of paint are you using?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

is the paint water based or solvent based?

have you tried cutting a piece and not doing anything to it to see if problem is with the material or your post cutting treatment?
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    is the paint water based or solvent based?

have you tried cutting a piece and not doing anything to it to see if problem is with the material or your post cutting treatment?
    Alot of spray paint based can will do this. I've experimented with several. Use cast instead. It will still craze, but it's more resistant.

What I have found that works well. If spray the paint, and put it right in front of a fan right away. This help the of gassing off ammonia quicker.

Also spray spray paint, then engrave / cut.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Cast acrylic isn't immune to this problem... This is a piece of 1/8" cast mirror, and no chemicals helped it along. It started to craze in just a few minutes after I cut it. Nothing but air has ever touched it--

as a note, this piece is (was) probably close to 20 years old when I cut it. So age may be a factor...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, that's caused by a dull beam. You need to sharpen your beam.

You can get a beam sharpener at the hardware store. It's between the aluminum magnets and the slack for rope
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It's across from the aisle where you find muffler bearings and metric crescent wrenches...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Kev, that's caused by a dull beam. You need to sharpen your beam.

You can get a beam sharpener at the hardware store. It's between the aluminum magnets and the slack for rope

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    It's across from the aisle where you find [...] metric crescent wrenches...
    Laugh all you want, but I probably wouldn't have been able to pull the busted differential off my first car, an Opel Kadet wagon, had I not had a metric crescent wrench to supplement my metric bicycle tools :^)

I have had cracking problems too, but ONLY on very old acrylic stock.

Acrylic absorbs water from the air - extruded does this much faster than cast - and I believe that steam is the cause of micro-cracking on old stock (when solvents are not involved).

One of the "How to use" things (I think from Perspex) suggests an putting acrylic in an oven at 80 degrees C for 24 hours per 3mm thickness to drive out the moisture before lasering.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I think Martin is possibly correct... I am using a solvent based car spray, and may change to a water based one (yet to experiment).
    Here is my experiments and findings so far...

Method:
    I cut six identical discs with three different settings (two of each). I spray painted one side of one and left the other plain with no paint.
    I changed the PPI/Htz of the cut to see if that had any effect... not too sure if it did yet, but my reasoning was if the beam temperature was different on each of the three cuttings, perhaps that would in some way anneal the edge more.

Findings:
    So this is what I did and the results

Disc 1 & 2, 5k PPI - painted = cracks at edge, non-painted = still perfect after 3 days
    Disc 3 & 4, 10k PPI - painted = cracks at edge, non-painted = still perfect after 3 days
    Disc 5 & 6, 20k PPI - painted = still perfect after 3 days, non-painted = still perfect after 3 days

Conclusions:
    So my current conclusions, right or wrong (yet to be confirmed with more experimentation):

1. It does appear to be the paint that is affecting the material, due to all unpainted ones still being pristine.
    2. It is possible that a higher (and therefore hotter), ppi is more effective in reducing cracking when painted.

Comments appreciated, this is very interesting... Thanks for participating in the discussion so far.
    Cheers, Steve

--