Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quietest Planer in the market?

Quietest Planer in the market?

What would be the quietest power planer in the market? I currently have a DW735 and I love it, but as everyone knows is rather loud (about 105db). I always wear ear protection but what I hope for is to be able to use the planer at nights without disturbing the family. My shop is in the basement and have done some sound insulation already to the point that I can use my bandsaw and my dust collector with no issues (the router is borderline). When I use the DW735 the noise on the second floor bedrooms is not horrible, but the family room gets a fair amount of noise (and vibration!) which is a bad think if my wife is watching TV or working on the computer.

One option is to upgrade to a byrd cutterhead and disconnect the fan on the DW735. But perhaps an even quieter option would be to get something like a Grizzly 15" with helical? I have a subpanel in the shop, so 220v is not a problem, but space is. So, the planer must have wheels and take as little space as possible.

My dilemma is if it's worth to spend extra money for something that it's quieter, but not quiet enough to accomplish what I wish. I would love to hear the experiences of others on this matter!

If it's her comfort ,then maybe appropriate modern soundproofing would solve. If it's also your radio or I tunes for you
    then new planer might be the answer. Having worked in commercial shops I know that quiet machines doesn't mean quiet,
    it just means you can hear 3 or 4 radios set on different stations. Big improvement? Either way ear protection is needed.

Thanks, Mel. I have done everything that I can reasonably do with soundproofing already and don't want to go down further down that path. It's all about her and my kids comfort. I always use hear and eye protection and a respirator when I work with power tools and don't plan on stop doing that regardless of how noise efficient the planer could be.

My 13 delta planner was unbelievably loud, and I replaced it with a jointer planer with a helical head. The difference is night and day. Get rid of the Dewalt and replace with a larger planer with an induction motor and a helical head.

~mark

That's good info. So, to put things in perspective for me, if you don't mind: While cutting wood, how far from the planer would you go to be able to carry a conversation at a normal volume?

Hammer A3-31 with the SIlent Power head.

You'll have a very quiet planer and jointer..............Rod.

I had/have the Dewalt 733 lunchbox planer in my old basement shop. It was very loud so I empathize.
    When I got my new shop I had set aside some money to buy bigger machines, one of those machine was a 20" planer from Grizzly.
    That upgrade alone was quieter. After a few years of use, I upgrade to the indexed spiral cutterhead and it made an even bigger difference, but still the machine while in operation is one of my loudest (router is the other).

As you are aware, you are still using a machine that is hogging off material from a wide piece of wood, there is only so much that can be done and noise is inherent to that specific operation.

Light cuts and sharp blades can help, but I really feel like you don't have too many options.

You can always self power a #5 hand plane.

I could have a conversation directly in front of the machine. The dust collector is louder than the jointer/planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    That's good info. So, to put things in perspective for me, if you don't mind: While cutting wood, how far from the planer would you go to be able to carry a conversation at a normal volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hammer A3-31 with the SIlent Power head.

You'll have a very quiet planer and jointer..............Rod.
    That's a beautiful machine, but a little too rich for my blood (and I suspect too large for my tiny shop).

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rudolph View Post
    I had/have the Dewalt 733 lunchbox planer in my old basement shop. It was very loud so I empathize.
    When I got my new shop I had set aside some money to buy bigger machines, one of those machine was a 20" planer from Grizzly.
    That upgrade alone was quieter. After a few years of use, I upgrade to the indexed spiral cutterhead and it made an even bigger difference, but still the machine while in operation is one of my loudest (router is the other).

As you are aware, you are still using a machine that is hogging off material from a wide piece of wood, there is only so much that can be done and noise is inherent to that specific operation.

Light cuts and sharp blades can help, but I really feel like you don't have too many options.

You can always self power a #5 hand plane.
    Yes, that's what I am afraid of, and wanted opinions to see if perhaps what I want is realistically not feasible. And I self power hand-planes most of the time... but thicknessing by hand gets old very quickly Josh, would you say your Grizzly louder than your router?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I could have a conversation directly in front of the machine. The dust collector is louder than the jointer/planer.
    That would be ideal! What model do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

I have the Hammer A3-31 with a byrd head, not the silent power head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I have the Hammer A3-31 with a byrd head, not the silent power head.
    Thanks! I see you and Rod are on a similar boat, then. Expensive machine... but perhaps worth considering anyway.

Makita touts their lunch box planer as being the quitest - I've not experienced one. Used to have a big, old commercial Powermatic 20" and it sounded like one of those wood chipers the arborist use - so really loud.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

If I were in your shoe and wanted something smaller and quiet I'd probably jump for a 15" Grizz with helical head.... I have a Grzz 20" with a helical head and love it.... just had a buddy come over who had a dewalt lunchbox, and I was showing him my Grizz and he was floored on how quiet it was oh and all I had to run through was this piece with a huge knot in it.... still smooth as silk. I have my DC in a attached room and it's still louder than the planer...
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    That would be ideal! What model do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
    I have the Grizzly G0453Z with the spiral head and have the same experience as Mark as far as carrying on a conservation.