Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Am i the only person who is disappointed with this? I love veritas and lee valley, but this seems like pandering, not better tool making. A good plane is sharp, easy to adjust, and flat. The available customizable options just feel gimmicky to me and may result in a cool gift that feels perfect in the hand. I realize these planes are probably all objectively good as well, but i couldnt help being dissapointed with this innovation after having used and appreciated their previous innovations in tool design like the new tool steel, lateral adjustment set screws on planes, their honing jig, and others.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-14-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Prashun,

Conceptually, i am with you. What was appealing about this was the different tote & knob options. I don't care much for the LV standard tote's shape and angle. For my hand and my bench height, I prefer a bailey style tote.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

They already make planes that are flat and easy to adjust. Sharp, obviously, is your job. Given that those basics are standard, why not try to refine other aspects?

What would you suggest they come up with to make a better bench plane?

I am guessing that angle of tote screw is too high with existing planes to retrofit a traditional style handle. It must be lower in new designs.

While you describe many of inconveniences of current planes, to improve any of those areas would require far too many compromises. I think you are kidding about adjustable length/width plane, at least until they invent adjustable width blade

I think we can safely assume planing action will be good. It remains to be seen how new planes work as far as ease of removal, disassembly and reassembly of blade/cap iron/lever cap. Any improvement in usability from traditional Stanley design would be improvement enough in my book. Whenever I reassemble Stanley bench plane, there is some amount of fiddling that could maybe be designed out.

I expected to hear more from opponents of Norris adjustment screw, since in arguments about bevel up vs down, convenience of having screw behind the frog often comes up.

I have one of their "old style" BD smoothers, and I love it. Pretty much the favorite I've used, but I tend to like a bit heavier plane. I don't find anything to dislike about the Norris adjustment screw, but maybe that is because I'm used to them. I use both the Norris and the Stanley type and find the Norris just great.

I'm totally neutral on the introduction of these planes since I have my bench planes and won't be investing in any more of them. A couple of things impress me though. First, is I am surprised that there is little discussion about the performance of these tools. Second, I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin. Some will welcome the new toys and fill the classified section of the forums with their outdated ones. Another maker of better planes now is in their improved Type 3 version, saying nothing about the hardy souls who are left behind with their Types 1 & 2. How much value do you think there is in those earlier planes? Yet another maker introduces their product and makes it the same for decades without change. Those planes retain about eighty-five percent of their current selling price. That says a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I'm totally neutral on the introduction of these planes since I have my bench planes and won't be investing in any more of them. A couple of things impress me though. First, is I am surprised that there is little discussion about the performance of these tools. Second, I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin. Some will welcome the new toys and fill the classified section of the forums with their outdated ones. Another maker of better planes now is in their improved Type 3 version, saying nothing about the hardy souls who are left behind with their Types 1 & 2. How much value do you think there is in those earlier planes? Yet another maker introduces their product and makes it the same for decades without change. Those planes retain about eighty-five percent of their current selling price. That says a lot to me.
    Mike,
    What that says to me is

1. You do not like technological advances or product improvements (if you use a cell phone or computer, I feel bad for you)
    2. You look at your tools as investments.

Introducing a new line of planes does not mean the previous versions are obsolete. Hand planes are not electronic gadgets. Moore's law does not apply to neander hand tools. What baffles me is that a company listens to its customer's criticisms about an existing product (tote and knob shape for example), innovates to provide options, and yet still draws criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin.
    Let me guess;

You still watch TV on one of those old CRT screens?
    You still drive a 1950s car without airbags, crumple zones or aircon ?
    You still cut up logs to fuel the donkey for your daily shower?
    You still think the world is flat?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Brad and Hilton, these comments are most hilarious coming in a forum section for guys who prefer nearly century old hand tools to "modern machines"! Just sayin...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Brad and Hilton, these comments are most hilarious coming in a forum section for guys who prefer nearly century old hand tools to "modern machines"! Just sayin...
    Ya gotta admit, that was funny right there. Well played. Just one thing- nearly a century old? A century is modern technology for us. Anything made after those new fangled steam engines is too fancy for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Ya gotta admit, that was funny right there. Well played. Just one thing- nearly a century old? A century is modern technology for us. Anything made after those new fangled steam engines is too fancy for us.
    Seriously? "True Neander" means building things with only sticks and rocks!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Even the old time manufacturers were trying to improve their tools. Think Stanley #55 and those fabulous Transitional planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Even the old time manufacturers were trying to improve their tools. Think Stanley #55 and those fabulous Transitional planes.
    That's not a ringing endorsement!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Seriously? "True Neander" means building things with only sticks and rocks!
    Close.

a True Neander will get his wife to build things with sticks and rocks but only after she's cooked supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Mike,
    What that says to me is

1. You do not like technological advances or product improvements (if you use a cell phone or computer, I feel bad for you)
    2. You look at your tools as investments.

Introducing a new line of planes does not mean the previous versions are obsolete. Hand planes are not electronic gadgets. Moore's law does not apply to neander hand tools. What baffles me is that a company listens to its customer's criticisms about an existing product (tote and knob shape for example), innovates to provide options, and yet still draws criticism.
    Right on both counts. If I wanted technology in my craft I would buy a Domino tool and chuck the mortise chisels. And yes, I view my tools as an investment. I don't want to buy them twice.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 09-16-2014 at 9:41 AM.