Thread: New project in walnut

New project in walnut

Now that i've finished a sofa table I'm starting on a new project. I started sorting through the stash:

DSCF1824.jpg

and decided that I needed to sort out some the details before committing good wood. Grabbed a piece of ~1/8" walnut veneer. Pulled out my old architect's scale and found that 1' = 1 1/2" turned the veneer into approximately 4/4 stock.

"Milled" up the parts, laid them out with a compass and eye, cut the curves, did a little chamfering, and tacked together with hide glue in about 45 minutes.

DSCF1825.jpgDSCF1827.jpgDSCF1828.jpg

More fun than sketchup (i'm already on the computer way to much) and was useful for checking general proportions, etc.

Dimensions are/will be ~48" x 18" H x 16" W. The piece will serve as a bench under a window that will also do double duty as an occasional coffee table. Still need to refine some of the curves (the stretchers need to taper and the lower ones are too wide) and am concerned that the legs may need to be 6/4 or 8/4 to look right.

Thoughts?

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Looks like more fun than CAD
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

I think narrowing/ tapering the curved braces would allow you to use 4/4 legs because that would put them more in proportion with each other, but I'd be concerned about some possible structural weaknesses if the wood used on the bench will be walnut also. Unless it was just a shortcut for the mock-up, i think you'd need to not cut the stretchers and curve braces from one board but cut the curved braces as separate pieces so the grain is more straight along the length of the brace. You'd have short grain on the ends due to the curve, but if they're tenoned in, there shouldn't be much stress on those areas.

Additionally, I think you may have to make the top point of the arch on the legs lower to avoid the leg boards splitting at that apex - or you could back up that section on the inside with a hidden stretcher with grain going horizontally. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid, imagining what my "sturdy" brothers would do to that bench if they sat on it, but it does seem like some areas would be susceptible to breaking with wracking or a side load cause by someone not sitting down exactly vertically. Making it thicker would help, if you wanted to keep the opening that high. With Oak, you probably wouldn't have to be as concerned, but my experience with black walnut is that it's not especially resistant to stress along the grain and can split a little easier than other woods.

Karl

Aesthetically I think it looks great!
    I am concerned about that stretcher's integrity, though. I don't like all that short grain in the arch. Unless it's laminated, I personally wouldn't take the chance.

4/4 legs don't bother me, but I'd drop the split point lower.

Bob--yes indeed!

Karl, thank you for the thoughtful suggestions. I've been working in elm lately and will have to adjust my expectations, as elm is at the other extreme structurally.

Karl and Prashun, Currently the opening in the legs extends to the mid-point and I've also thinking that lower would be better from an aesthetic standpoint. I may also widen the top of the sides (as in my drawings) to effectively give the legs on each site of the opening more of a taper. Bracing from behind would be an easy solution for structural concerns that i'll consider depending on thick the legs end up. I'm planning to attach the top to the legs with wedge through tenons, which will add considerable lateral stability and strength.

Karl and Prashun, The stretchers were definitely cut for quick and easy--will have to think through appropriate structural approaches (multiple pieces M&T, lamination, or if I get lucky, i'll find a couple boards with the curve to let in).

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra