Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to find new gold mirrors for my Universal laser

Need to find new gold mirrors for my Universal laser

ULS-P50
    50W. Laser

I'm in need of new mirrors for my laser, both the mirrors are pretty much worn and flaked away around the outter edges, where's the most econimical place to find them? It's a pretty old machine, maybe there's somewhere to get used ones?
    Any advice would be great.
    "Lasers, not just for evil overloads anymore!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Gat View Post
    ULS-P50
    50W. Laser

I'm in need of new mirrors for my laser, both the mirrors are pretty much worn and flaked away around the outter edges, where's the most econimical place to find them? It's a pretty old machine, maybe there's somewhere to get used ones?
    Any advice would be great.
    I really recommend you stay away from used as they will no longer have the coating on them that helps reflective on the laser. I've seen people lose 10%-20% power through a mirror that had been cleaned so much the coat was removed.

The mirrors alone are 75 each plus ship from any ULS channel partner, dealer or direct from universal and its an in-stock item.

620-0001-00-A is the part number.
    Last edited by Kevin Gregerson; 09-10-2014 at 6:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm in need of new mirrors for my laser, both the mirrors are pretty much worn and flaked away around the outter edges
    If it's just the edges, there's no reason to not continue using them...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If it's just the edges, there's no reason to not continue using them...
    In my experience, if the edges are flaking then most of the reflective coating has already been removed and the power loss rather than being 20% is closer to 50-75%. One guy I worked with ordered a laser and everything else but the optics to get micro improvements. Once the optics were replaced, max cut depth went from struggling .25 to easily doing .5 inches.

Really, clean new optics make a difference. The 50 watts should be able to do half inch acrylic cuts. Older 50 watt more like 3/8s easy and .5 tuned well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    In my experience, if the edges are flaking then most of the reflective coating has already been removed and the power loss rather than being 20% is closer to 50-75%.
    You do realize how insane those numbers are, right Kevin? At those kind of losses, the mirror would bake itself in a few minutes of use. It's like the local oil change guys who tell me I'm losing 10% of my power due to an old air filter, another 10% for old oil, etc. By the time they're finished, my car would supposedly gain back 50% of its stock horsepower if I just let them change everything. It's amazing the car even made it to the shop, if I listen to them.

Flaking edges mean the optic may have been roughly handled while putting it in the holder, moisture may have become trapped along the edges, etc. But none of that necessarily effects the center portion that carries the main load. I'm a big proponent of taking care of your optics properly and keeping them clean in the first place, but in many cases there's little need for wholesale swap.

You can measure your mirrors and find the same on ebay or alliexpress. Just make sure that you are buying the same specs mirrors as the ones you are using in Universal. I would check with sellers mirror thickness and diameter to make sure they match with your current mirrors.
    From the other hand their exact size and thickness may not be relevant at all if they are supposed to be glued and do not sit in some mirror holders.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lysov View Post
    You can measure your mirrors and find the same on ebay or alliexpress. Just make sure that you are buying the same specs mirrors as the ones you are using in Universal. I would check with sellers mirror thickness and diameter to make sure they match with your current mirrors.
    From the other hand their exact size and thickness may not be relevant at all if they are supposed to be glued and do not sit in some mirror holders.
    Lightobject dot com has replacement mirrors. Measure and replace that way you will know, save the old for spares . Most digital if not all digital calipers have Metric readout available.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-11-2014 at 8:25 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

mirror1.jpgmirror2.jpgThanks for all the replies, here are the mirrors in question. Would I be power loss based on this wear? It's a pretty old tube so I'm not getting near 50w in the first place. I assume based on the conversations here I can just find a cheapish .75" x 1/8" mirror, pop these ones off the bracket, re-glue on be on my way?

Hi gang;
    I am curious-who out there is cleanly cutting 1/2" acrylic in one pass with 50 watts Co2 laser?
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Hi gang;
    I am curious-who out there is cleanly cutting 1/2" acrylic in one pass with 50 watts Co2 laser?
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    In the past, when all we had was 45w, I cut a lot of 1/2" clear acrylic. Not in a hurry, but I cut it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Hi gang;
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    I used to be able to get a clean cut through .5" acrylic no problem with my 50W.

Hiya George,

It's the difference between RF and DC excited tubes brother An RF unit will punch at *roughly* twice the DC weight

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Would I be power loss based on this wear?
    Gabe, you might not get 50% back but based on those pictures I would say it couldn't hurt to go ahead and replace them!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

George,
    Believe it or not, I have cut 1/2" acrylic in one pass with my 30 watt laser. Granted, it was at 100% power and 1% speed - nothing I'd ever do for money, it took ffffoooorrrrreeeevvvveeeeerrrr, but it did it none the less.

Blog Entries
    mirror1.jpgmirror2.jpgThanks for all the replies, here are the mirrors in question. Would I be power loss based on this wear? It's a pretty old tube so I'm not getting near 50w in the first place. I assume based on the conversations here I can just find a cheapish .75" x 1/8" mirror, pop these ones off the bracket, re-glue on be on my way?
    Those are hardly worn "at the outer edges"... those things are entirely trashed. I wouldn't even fire the beam against those. Replace immediately.