Thread: What to do with burl

What to do with burl

We were in MO riding a four wheeler and came across this Oak Burl. Paul said lets cut that down, don't want it falling across the creek. This was 6 years ago. Here are some of the items I have made. The large 32" x 6" was to big to do anything with so it just leaned on the wall in the dinning room for 5 years. This summer I made a base, now it's a coffee table.
    big_burl.jpgBurl.jpg12" dia.oak_burl.jpg 12" dia.Oak_Burl_for_Bill.jpgc-table.jpg
    Rex

Nice work Rex! I also like your candle holders!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow. You got some good sized bowls out of that. I like the shapes. At first glance, I thought that you cut a slab of the burl and made a table out of it, but it looks like you TURNED that monster. You must have a big lathe with an outboard option. Nicely done.

Love what you did here, especially with the table. Is the top hollowed like a bowl? Hard to tell with the photo angle and glass. I would like to see a pic with the glass removed or at least a top view. I also like to legs/ base for the table, and of course the candle holders.

Wonderful table. It must have been a very large and heavy burl to turn. I assume you had to turn it out board on a big lathe. It must have been a thrill before you got it balanced. The burl is surely the star here but I love your imagination and workmanship on the base.
    faust