Thread: Carbide tools demonstration

Carbide tools demonstration

I put together a long video (broken into 3 parts) demonstrating many normal woodturning cuts (beads, coves, hollowing, etc) done with various shapes of carbide lathe tools.

I still don't propose that carbide should completely replace traditional gouges, skew, etc. But a lot of folks are getting into carbide, so I've just been trying to focus my youtube channel on the carbides to share my experiences.

One thing I learned from making these videos - I need to work on my beads!

Check them out if you're interested. Or not, if you're not.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ismyEFLCI

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmaUUSUQw4E

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQELtpCBdVU

goblet.jpgbowl.jpg

Carbide is a "mixed blessing". Carbide tipped turning tools are more scrapers than cutters although you can cut with them. They are pretty much a "no brainer" to use as the skills needed to properly operate a traditional edge tool are unnecessary. Also, since the cutting tips are replaced when they loose their edge, sharpening and grinding skills are also unnecessary.

But here's the rub. Carbide cannot take the same kind of cutting edge as "traditional" steels. This is due primarily to to the granular structure of carbide. The ability of carbide to hold it's edge longer than steel is offset by the fact that steel can take a much keener edge which translates into a much cleaner cut. It might be easier for a beginner to get decent results by using carbide tools as the more common devils like tool presentation, "bevel riding" and all of the other techniques that turners employ are circumvented. But, it is unlikely that you will ever develop the afore mentioned skills if you use carbide tools exclusively. Ultimately the lack of traditional skills will become a roadblock and by that time you will probably have developed many habits that will need to be "unlearned" in order to progress past a certain level.
    David DeCristoforo

I've seen Steve's videos and they are an excellent overview of what carbide tools can do. I also agree with most David's post above but, being a relative newcomer to the addiction of wood turning I have come to a few conclusions on the use of carbides.
    As I said I've only been turning for a few (4) months but have been woodworking for 40 years. The house could no longer hold any more furniture so I had to find a new outlet for my wood madness.Tried hand carving bowls but arthritic hands made that difficult and painful.
    Did some research and bought a Nova Comet ll. (Not a bad unit IMO.) Got a set of Benjamin's Best bowl tools and figured I was all set. But wait! The tools have to be sharpened before using. No problem. Got the grinding wheel attachment for the Comet. Problem with that is you have to be a good free hand sharpener with that.
    Frustration was setting in.
    To make a long story shorter, I sprung for a couple of the Easy Tools and my newbie funk lifted. I could actually make something!
    The carbides allowed me to concentrate on a whole lot of the rest of the rather steep learning curve associated with wonderful pastime with out feeling like a total failure and posting the whole lot on Craig's list.
    Since that shaky start I have become a pretty darn good free hand sharpener, learned to control the gouges and scrapers with confidence and the carbides have become just another of my endlessly increasing supply of tools.
    Now, my opinion. Nothing can beat a razor sharp gouge for satisfying shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lewane View Post
    No problem. Got the grinding wheel attachment for the Comet. Problem with that is you have to be a good free hand sharpener with that.
    I got the Comet2 for my daughter. Here is the finger grinding guide. The plate to bolt it to the lathe is extra (about $10).
    http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-35053-Fin.../dp/B0064JJ336
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for that link.
    As I said I have gotten pretty good at free hand grinding but................................
    the next time I've got an extra $100 and nothing else has caught my eye
    who knows.

I actually agree with all of you.

I have traditional gouges and skews, etc, and use them plenty. I also have an 8" slow speed grinder, and the wolverine sharpening jig, etc.

I also have a ton of respect for dozens of youtube woodturners who have made incredible instructional videos about how to use a bowl gouge, skew chisel, etc, and about how to maintain the edge of those tools. Frankly, there is absolutely nothing I could add to the body of knowledge on youtube about woodturning with traditional high speed steel gouges and tools.

But I haven't really seen anyone else doing carbide tool-focused videos. So I'm filling a niche there. I like woodturning with carbide, and I've learned there is a lot more to it than you might think at first. Some of those tools really can be much more effective using good technique, particularly the ones that are not flat scrapers. And for those who want to know how to get more out of their carbide tools, I hope I'm able to help them out with my videos.

Also, I laugh a bit at Bruce saying his house couldn't fit any more furniture - my wife is starting to say our house can't fit any more wooden bowls and such!

I am going with double D on carbide. In a way, they stop the learning process on near perfect turning.Max